Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 25, 2006, 9:06 PM   #1

I've been thinking of picking this up. Anyone have this lens? How does it do as a portrait lens on a digital? Is it worth the cash? Is it nice and sharp on a DL or K10? Hows the bokeh? Any help would be appreciated. I've just about made up my mind that I want one, just would like some confirmation that its worth the hefty price.
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2006, 9:21 PM   #2

Can't help with this specific lens: on Monday I should get my paws on the Tamron TC 1.4 that I intend on using with FA50mm F1.4. That will make it as if 70mm F2 (kind of).

That is my plan to get some more range on the cheap. I will find out soon if that is really a doable substitute.

DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 10:31 PM   #3

Wish I had one (I don't). All of the samples I've seen people post indicate this is an excellent lens, but I've never used one. If you would give me the winning lottery numbers I'd be happy to buy one and test it out for you...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 4:32 AM   #4

Spiritbro77 wrote:
Quote:
I've been thinking of picking this up. Anyone have this lens? How does it do as a portrait lens on a digital? Is it worth the cash? Is it nice and sharp on a DL or K10? Hows the bokeh? Any help would be appreciated. I've just about made up my mind that I want one, just would like some confirmation that its worth the hefty price.

I am thinking in that direction as well as I have no lens covering between 50mm and 100mm . K10D came and I have 2nd thought. I am sure you have read all the positive comments here and there and need some extra push . Here you go

http://www.pbase.com/betsypdx/77

Daniel
Toronto

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 6:42 AM   #5

Spiritbro,

All the limited editions are supposed to be the bees knees! And I'm sure that funds allowing we would all like the full set. But then I'm biased 'cause I prefer prime lenses to zooms any day.

However the following might be worth a read before you spend the hard earnt.
http://www.pentaxuser.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3197

Steve
Stev1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 6:43 PM   #6

Well thanks for all the input. I took the plunge today and ordered, it should be here tomorrow. I can't wait to do a little shooting with it. Hope it makes the good portrait lens I'm looking for. I still have the fa 50 1.4 on back order so between the two I should be covered on portrait lenses. After the first of the year Ill try to pick up some longer glass for birding/animals etc. and perhaps a cheaper macro to play around with.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 9:36 AM   #7

I found someone on flickr that uses the 77mm 1.8 limited. I think he's a professional photographer actually. Anyways his name is Kenny Chi and here is an example of a portrait that he took with this lens. Again this is NOT my photo. Here's a link to more of his pics. Unfortunately he did not organize his sets based upon which lens he used so you kinda have to search around to find the other pics that he used the 77 limited on. Anyways, I've been very impressed with this lens for portrait use. Just wish it was not so expensive.

http://flickr.com/photos/kennychi/

royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 9:48 PM   #8

Bought mine secondhand from ebay (silver). This lens is superb - great for portraits and even flower pics. The 3d effect is really indescribable. As for the price, I'd like to say it's worth every penny but only you can be the final judge of that.

Sample pic:

Nols
Nols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:32 PM   #9

Wow. That is an amazing shot. Yes indescribable. I'm curious. Does this lens come in a black color?

Nols wrote:
Quote:
Bought mine secondhand from ebay (silver). This lens is superb - great for portraits and even flower pics. The 3d effect is really indescribable. As for the price, I'd like to say it's worth every penny but only you can be the final judge of that.

Sample pic:

Nols
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 3:12 AM   #10

Yes it comes in black. The one I just bought is black.