Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 25, 2006, 10:33 PM   #1

I'm about to get this camera after long months of saving for it. It is definately a big purchase for me.

What is the longevity of these cameras? I would expect it to last at least 3 years. On my point and shoot I take about 1500 shots a month.

Basically, I'm wanting to know will this thing hold up - or should I look elsewhere?

Thanks so much for any and all information
episodic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2006, 11:19 PM   #2

I can't speak to longevity, I have had my k100 for under four months and currently have about 5500 shots through it. There are forum members with many more shots through older Pentax cameras though, and I am sure they will chime in. I have found nothing about my camera to make me fear it will not go the distance.

Any reason for going for the K110 over the K100? For the minimal price difference I would recommend the shake reduction. It is not magic but I believe it has allowed me to get shots I never would have gotten otherwise. This one was taken yesterday, 190mm focal length and 1/6 of a second shutter speed, handheld.

Good luck with whichever camera you choose.
Tim
Attached Images

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 11:40 PM   #3

Hi

There really Is no good answer to your question. All of Todays Cameras are so loaded with Electronics they can go at any time.
Having said that My DS is going on 2 years old and Its doing fine. I still have my Pentax ME from the 80s and it with works just Fine.
IMO you should be just Fine and BTW I agree with Nonentity1. You should really consider the K100d. The SR is well worth It.

BK

episodic wrote:
Quote:
I'm about to get this camera after long months of saving for it. It is definately a big purchase for me.

What is the longevity of these cameras? I would expect it to last at least 3 years. On my point and shoot I take about 1500 shots a month.

Basically, I'm wanting to know will this thing hold up - or should I look elsewhere?

Thanks so much for any and all information
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 11:52 PM   #4

Sigh, the reason I am not going for shake reduction is that it took me quite a while just to save at this level. It will take me another few months to save for shake reduction.

Can I ask why you had to shoot at 1/6 of second in daylight? I'm coming from p&s - but wouldnt you be able to shoot at 1/60 of a second or better most of the time? I took some susnet pics this evening in manual mode on my canon a530 - and I never went below 1/30 of a second.

Indoors, won't the high ISO's save me?
episodic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 12:48 AM   #5

No one really knows the answer to how long these cameras will last- they are new cameras. I've had a DS since January and a K100D since August with no issues at all. My Pentax ME, purchased in 1980, developed problems with the film advance about 5 years ago and the shop I went to said they couldn't get parts to repair it. I'm planning on using the K100D for at least 3 years.

The SR on the K100D is really nice to have, but I got really good results with the DS, which doesn't have SR, under most circumstances with lenses up to 200mm (wouldn't go beyond that because my 200mm pictures were a bit hit-n-miss). Since money is a big issue, buy the K110 and start saving up for some good lenses. The higher ISOs will help you indoors and if you can pick up some fast lenses (like the 50mm 1.4 or 1.7) from ebay, you'll be able to keep your shutter speeds up to reasonable levels for the most part. And there's always tripods for really bad light.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 1:48 AM   #6

Another thread which shows the real-world effect of SR:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

If you will ever want any form of SR, the cheapest way to get it by far is to spend the extra money and buy the K100D. USD $100 or so for SR on every Pentax lens every made, and every Pentax-compatible lens ever made, is an incredible bargain. Look at prices for stablilized Canon and Nikon lenses... :shock:

You do have to pay the $100 up front, which can be a drag when you're excited about the camera and money is short. Good luck with whatever you decide.
BrettTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 11:22 AM   #7

I did a quick search and it appears that the lowest price for a K100D kit is $519 - $50 rebate, totaling at $469. The rebate ends in early January.

http://deal.ritebuys.com/viewitem.ph...RefTag=froogle

There might be some additional price weakness between now and Christmas. WalMart among others did not meet their after Thanksgiving sales goals, so there might be some movement there.

I know its hard but the price has slid from $699 to $469 in 4 months, that is 1/3 off the initial price. Save a bit more and with some additional price softness and the rebate, you just may be ale to reach the K100 with the image stablization. I have it and I really like it.

Hope that helps...
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 9:02 PM   #8

episodic wrote:
Quote:
Sigh, the reason I am not going for shake reduction is that it took me quite a while just to save at this level. It will take me another few months to save for shake reduction.

Can I ask why you had to shoot at 1/6 of second in daylight? I'm coming from p&s - but wouldnt you be able to shoot at 1/60 of a second or better most of the time? I took some susnet pics this evening in manual mode on my canon a530 - and I never went below 1/30 of a second.

Indoors, won't the high ISO's save me?
I understand. Actually, my hat is off to you for saving up for it before you buy it. I used to have that kind of discipline, until I got credit cards. Now I wish I still had the discipline.

To answer your other question, it was not daylight. It wasjust after sunsetunder heavy tree cover. I was shooting in Av so I could have opened the aperture up to 5.6 but the lens (a Sigma 70-300) does better at f6.7 and I was interested in pushing the SR anyhow. The camera set ISO at 800, so there was not a whole lotof headroomin either aperture or ISO.

The k100 is the only Dslr camera I have owned, so I can't compare them. But as a photography newb, seeing the difference between the theoretical minimum shutter speed to get a shot and what I can actually take the shot at, I am a believer in the SR system.

Whichever camera you choose, this is a great place to hang out and learn more about photography.

Tim

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote