Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 26, 2006, 3:27 PM   #1

can any fellow pentax user recommend a good consumer photography magazine for me to subscribe to? i just want to subscribe to one magazine.

thanks.
lgbalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2006, 3:53 PM   #2

Depends what you're into, I personally subscribe to Outdoor Photography (UK Mag.)

It covers all aspects of photography and where to go for some great shots. And it doesn't get too hooked up on equipment reviews.

Steve
Stev1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 3:57 PM   #3

I would suggest going to a bookstore or news stand and seeing what ones most interest you.

I picked up a few a couple of weeks ago... I think they are the first photo magazines I've picked up in 10 years... I didn't decide to subscribe to any that I picked up, but I did decide to grab a few more sometime soon...

Paul
pbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 4:21 PM   #4

Personally I subscribe to Amateur Photographer. Weekly magazine, so the news is generally up to date. However, I also then pick up any others that interest me that month, usually Practical Photography.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 4:30 PM   #5

Sorry forgot to mention Pentax User is pretty good.

Steve
Old Nov 26, 2006, 4:39 PM   #6

I subscrible to several. However if i just was going To get one it would be "Outdoor Photography(USA)". And judging by"Stev1e" Post there must be several editions.

Just Checked Pentax user Is Not Avialable in the USA

BK/Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 4:50 PM   #7

Phil,

Pentax user is available from: http://www.pentaxuser.co.uk/pages/CurrentIssue.htm.

But I don't know if it's posted out of the UK.

Steve
Old Nov 26, 2006, 5:09 PM   #8

i take popular and outdoor photograpy. both excellent but popphoto , to me, leans toward the N* & C*. altho editors camera of the year was the sony dslr. money must have changed hands because the sony is a POS above iso400. they do give pentax some raves but..... they do have some really good photoshop tuts. out of the two i like Ophoto the best. i get both mags for $12 each a year. $1 a copy i can handle. if you subscribe call them and say ' hey , this guy gets it for $12, see what they say. after i finish them they go to my vet for waiting room mags.

roy
Old Nov 26, 2006, 8:01 PM   #9

I seem to subscribe to more magazines than I have time to read. One place to find some really good deals on mags is: http://www.magazinepricesearch.com/index.html This site does not offer subscriptions but indexes prices at various websites that offer discount subscriptions.

Just watch what the terms are, some of the services will resubscribe you automatically, which I will not accept. I have had very good luck with www.bestdealmagazines.com and I have ordered subscriptions from them for years.

Currently Outdoor Photography and Popular Photography are available for under $4/year.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 8:12 PM   #10

A local bookstore carries two excellent UK mags, Practical Photography and Photography Monthly, expensive here however. Among the North American mags there is Digital Photo Pro aimed at professionals, Popular Photography great "bang for the buck" since it covers gear and techniques, PC Photo which has great post processing tutorials, and finally a Canadian publication called Photolife which concentrates on the art of photography.

I have just subscribed to Popular Photography because of a great deal through work, $22 for two years (sounded good to me at the time). The British magazines are still ahead of the American magazines in the area of practical ideas, they stress techniques and skills over gear.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote