Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 26, 2006, 11:31 PM   #1

I pretty much had my mind made up on getting a canon s3is. But after messing around with a Canon 350d at circuit city today. I was wondering if I should just step it up to a dslr. How do the two cameras mentioned above compare to say a 300d/350d? I know both pentax have less megapixels, which I don't mind. I'm still pretty much a newb, and I'm only working with a nikon 4600. Reason being why I wanted to upgrade to the s3. Another reason being, I'm kind of intimadated to step up to the dslr with my experience.

So now I'm just looking for advice on these 2 cameras. Or would I be better off working with the S3is first, learning that. Then a few years from now step up to a dslr, maybe one even better than both pentax? If I decide to go with the pentax, what's a good upgrade lens to go with. I mostly like shooting buildings, landscape, and macro stuff. Also, my budget will be kind of tight. So how is the kit lens that comes with the camera work? I'd be stuck with that until I can upgrade to a better lens.

Thanks for any words of wisdom guys/gals.
Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2006, 12:05 AM   #2

I'm trying to make sense of the inquiry that you had posted...

First of all this is a pentax dslr forum. I really can't comment on the canon
s3 is, 350D, nor the 300D. Second, which I think is the main question you are contemplating is whether or not you should upgrade to a dslr or not. The big
factor when considering upgrading to a dslr is costs. Making the leap from a prosumer point and shoot to a dslr is quite a bit of money. You really have to
consider how serious your commitment to photography is going to be since later
on there will be additional costs as you acquire additional lenses. If you are looking
for an entry level dslr, the cheapest pentax would be the *ist DL with the 18-55 kit lens. The 18-55 kit lens is actually quite good and would make for a great lens to start with.

good luck.
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 6:59 AM   #3

Hi,

First thing is What is your budget? That will pretty much determine what you are going to do.

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 9:54 AM   #4

Well at the moment I was looking to go with the s3IS with adapter tube, uv filter, Linear Polarizer, Macro lens, and telephoto lens. And later on a wide angle lens. So with that said, that price would probably bring me close to the price of alot of DSLRs with kit lens. From reading up and doing a lil reseach, it seems that the 18-55 kit lens would be good start for what I want to shoot. And also going with the 50-200mm lens.

So pretty much my budget would be for the body with kit lens, and adding the 50-200mm lens for now. :O
Old Nov 27, 2006, 12:50 PM   #5

I have had the S1-IS for several years, and have used an S3-IS. After several months of thought and research, I rejected the S3-IS and upgraded to the K100D.

If your budget will afford an entry level DSLR, and your main goal is to take still pictures, you should go for the DSLR. It will take better pictures in all types of light, but especially indoors in low light. The K100D is not too complicated for a beginner; it can be used in full automatic mode, where the camera makes all of the decisions. The only setting you just about have to change is going from "bright color" mode to "natural color" mode, but most Canon forums advise a similar change in initial settings on the S3-IS. The only downside to an entry-level DSLR is price, and you seem to have cleared that hurdle.

With regard to the K100D specifically, the big advantage is shake reduction (SR), Pentax' version of what Canon calls image stabilization. The K100D's SR works on every lens you attach to the camera, and just about every Pentax lens ever made will fit the K100D. There are more lenses available for Canon and Nikon, but their DSLRs use lens-based image stabilization, which means serious price shock. Pentax lenses are just as good, and they are a lot cheaper.

With regard to the S3-IS specifically, be aware that manual focus is an exercise in frustration. You have to simultaneously push two buttons at opposite ends of the camera, and the S3's comparatively low-res electronic viewfinder (EVF) makes it difficult to determine when the focus is right. It's the same system used on the S1-IS, and I struggled with it for years. Of course you can always just use autofocus (AF), but AF focuses on the first thing the beam hits. If the target is moving in place, or there is something in front of it (e.g., a tree branch), manual focus will often produce better results. The manual focus ring and real optical viewfinder on any DSLR lens make manual focus MUCH easier.

If you search for the various cameras in the Sx-IS series on the Pentax DSLR forum at dpreview.com, there are several threads with comparisons of the same picture taken with these cameras and the K100D with various entry-level lenses.

Apart from price, the real advantage of the Sx-IS series is video. They are quite possibly the best combination still/short video cameras ever made. That's the one feature I really miss. For portability and video, I might still pick up an S3-IS if I can find one for a good cheap price after the next Sx-IS is announced. But you will clearly get better still pictures from any DSLR.

--Brett
BrettTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 2:44 PM   #6

Thanks for that info Brett.. Very helpful. The more I read up and surf the forums, the more I start to like the pentax K100D. I was going to go with the K110D to save a few bucks, but with the rebate right now you can get the K100D for the same price. I didn't think I would need the SR, but after reading up a lil more. It seems that SR might come in handy.

Anybody elsewith anyother info or advice, please feel free to add. :|
Old Nov 27, 2006, 5:21 PM   #7

My two cents - I read the list of the accessories you would plan on getting with the S3IS. If you are going to get all that, why not get a dSLR? The main advantage to a fixed lens camera is weight and ease of not carrying lots of extra stuff. When I decided that I couldn't get along with an FZ30, I looked at the R1, but knew I wanted a longer tele lens than it has. By the time I got an add-on TC for it, along with the adaptor etc. I might as well be carrying a dSLR. The dSLR can do more things in the long run, and it can grow with you as you develop as a photographer.

I'm another one who LOVES the SR!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 5:39 PM   #8

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
at your age darlin, i'm not surprised!!

flaco, get the dslr. those EVFs really s*$k..
Old Nov 27, 2006, 6:43 PM   #9

Hi,

Or he can buy my (cough) Canon outfit with everything he needs to start.

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 7:28 PM   #10

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
My two cents - I read the list of the accessories you would plan on getting with the S3IS. If you are going to get all that, why not get a dSLR? The main advantage to a fixed lens camera is weight and ease of not carrying lots of extra stuff. When I decided that I couldn't get along with an FZ30, I looked at the R1, but knew I wanted a longer tele lens than it has. By the time I got an add-on TC for it, along with the adaptor etc. I might as well be carrying a dSLR. The dSLR can do more things in the long run, and it can grow with you as you develop as a photographer.

Yes Ms. Lady. I started adding up the price of the s3 and just the basic add ons and it came up to 400 bucks. So there was another point to add to getting the K100D. And I don't even think I included the price of the macro, tele, and wide angel. I think the 400 was just the lensmateonline.com 58mm adapter,Hoya uv filter,Hoya linear polarizer, and ebay flower petal lens hood. And add to that, 90 for the sony 1.7x tele lens, another 43 bucks for the raynox macro lens, and 60 for the raynox .66x wide angel. Now I'm really in the range for a dslr.

So now I'm looking into getting the K100D. The features are just as good as the s3is, if not better. And yes, I pan on using/having this camera for as long as it keeps on pumping out photos. So yeah, it will def. grow with me as I learn it and get more into photography.

Once again, thanks for all the advice. How many of you guys on this thread actually own or have used the k100D? I see alot of people going crazy over the new K10. :|