Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 30, 2006, 3:41 AM   #11

You may have been a bit hasty returning your K100D, when I got mine it wouldn't even start up with 2 sets of charged 2.5yr old Uniross 2100mAh's that work fine in my Olympus C750 for hours of shooting. The top LCD came up with a battery error message if I remember correctly. However, new Energizer 2500mAh's charged in the same smart charger ran the cam for over 800 shots in one day with it switched on continuously for 8.5hrs with no power saving mode enabled. I'm now trying out low self-discharge Uniross Hybrios, seem OK so far (2 weeks).

I think the problem is that the K100D takes big surges in current (I've measured over 1.2A on a slow meter, it could be much higher) , although the average current is low (80-200mA depending what the display is doing). My old Olympus took a higher average current than the K100D, about 400mA but surges only went up to about 650mA and the Uniross's lasted about 4-5hrs. The cutoff voltage is set a little conservatively high I reckon on the K100D, so this means that a current surge takes the battery voltage below the cutoff threshold if the batteries have a high internal resistance. Old batteries tend to have a high internal resistance so are more likely to cause problems even if they work fine in another camera.
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 4:01 AM   #12

beethovenspiano wrote:
Quote:
Thanks everyone...

I already own the old film K1000 with these lenses: SMC-M 50mm f1.7, SMC-M 135mm f3.5, SMC-M 200mm f4 and a 500mm Mirror Lens.. So that should keep me happy for a while. :-) I'm hoping the mirror lens isnt too wide too fit under the flash protrusion though. :O
You will love all the M lens there. All of a sudden, these have I S (Canonspeak). Keep posting. Your super tele mirror lens has a very commanding range after the crop factor kicks in

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 11:08 AM   #13

Is there a list any where of which batteries will and will not work with the K100?
beethovenspiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 11:26 AM   #14

beethovenspiano wrote:
Quote:
Is there a list any where of which batteries will and will not work with the K100?
I recall there were articles about batt and charger.
Avoid those quick and skimpy charger.
Even if you have a cheapo charger, charge it overnight
Do not trust those $15 two hours charger thing.
To properly charge a NMH batt is not that simple.
There are a lot of cutting corners made by those mickymouse charger
2500 Energyer is a good choice which is what I have

Daniel

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 2:12 PM   #15

I think Pentax recommends NiMH 2300mH or higher batteries. I think this may be due to the battery sensor in these cameras. Please try a 2500mH NiMH battery set to see if it fixes your problems.

Hope this helps!

-thepusher

BTW TigerDirect.com has some fairly inexpensive and good UltraPro 2500 NiMH batteries, and I have had good success with them in my Samsung GX-1L (Pentax ist DL2).:|
thepusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 6:04 PM   #16

I don't know where you are located, but I ended up buying a Sanyo charger with 6 batteries that Costco carries every so often (I now own 2 and keep one of the rechargers in my laptop case, one at the house). They work great, and wasn't that expensive.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 6:30 PM   #17

I'm in the UK. What battery/charger combination do UK users have?

I might have another look at the camera next year lol. I just noticed they dropped the price here, Jessops UK have it for £399, also you can put in a discount code and get £15 off at the moment - which would make it £384.:O

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/index.html
beethovenspiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 7:33 AM   #18

beethovenspiano wrote:
Quote:
I'm in the UK. What battery/charger combination do UK users have?

I might have another look at the camera next year lol. I just noticed they dropped the price here, Jessops UK have it for £399, also you can put in a discount code and get £15 off at the moment - which would make it £384.:O

Wow - that's a pretty great UK price. 1 of my local shops is LCE, and even online it's at £499! Is it inappropriate to share codes here? I still haven't decided for sure on a K100D, but it's in my final group at least .

If I do get it, I'd also be interested in the answer to the battery question.

I also noticed that they have an online used selection which I might browse for my lenses .

Thanks.
painintheuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:43 AM   #19

painintheuk wrote:
Quote:
beethovenspiano wrote:
Quote:
I just noticed they dropped the price here, Jessops UK have it for £399, also you can put in a discount code and get £15 off at the moment - which would make it £384.:O

Well, this link might have already saved me a pretty penny . I went in to one of my local shops and was there for about half an hour looking at 3 cameras. I asked about prices at the end. One guy was a bit shocked at the price that you found, but the next guy said that they would come close to matching it (slightly more, but including a card)! I'm not sure that I'll buy the 100D, but it sets a pretty nice benchmark!

Thanks.
painintheuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 3:14 PM   #20

I am assuming that powerex 2700mAh will do the trick?
Teecee is offline   Reply With Quote