Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 27, 2006, 5:17 AM   #1

Ordered my K100D today, should be here tomorrow, wish me luck lol :-)
beethovenspiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2006, 7:00 AM   #2

You're going to love it. The more I use mine, the more impressed with it I become. I truely feel it was hands-down the best camera choice for me. Enjoy!
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 11:28 AM   #3
TC3

Good luck! I totally love this cam and i am sure u will too
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 11:55 AM   #4

I got mine Thursday and have gotten two opportunities to use it. I find I like it better and better the more I learn. I would recommend picking up a longer zoom asap though. I am a relative newb and was suprised at how much I needed to use the 80-200MM taking pics of my daughter...
scottie137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 12:24 PM   #5

Thanks everyone...

I already own the old film K1000 with these lenses: SMC-M 50mm f1.7, SMC-M 135mm f3.5, SMC-M 200mm f4 and a 500mm Mirror Lens.. So that should keep me happy for a while. :-) I'm hoping the mirror lens isnt too wide too fit under the flash protrusion though. :O
Old Nov 27, 2006, 1:27 PM   #6

scottie137 wrote:
Quote:
I got mine Thursday and have gotten two opportunities to use it. I find I like it better and better the more I learn. I would recommend picking up a longer zoom asap though. I am a relative newb and was suprised at how much I needed to use the 80-200MM taking pics of my daughter...
Welcome to friendly Pentax forum, Scottie. You'll soon discover how many more lenses you will need, not to mention all the useful accessories you didn't know you cant live without. PPS (Post Pics Soon)!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 1:46 PM   #7

You've got a reasonable selection of lenses - depending on your interests, you might decide later on to get a macro lens (would be the biggest hole in your lens collection for me). Have fun with it, and remember that manual focus does take some practice because the screen isn't a split screen. I don't have much trouble doing it as long as I am paying attention to what I'm doing, and the camera beeps at you when it thinks its in focus.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 5:03 PM   #8

Well, things haven't gone too well. The camera didn't seem to like any of the NiMH batteries I had - I think it was actually defective so have decided return it. :sad:

I put a freshly charged set of 2000mah in and had only taken 8 pictures before the battery indicator dropped to half. I had about 22 shots before the battery indicator showed no charge, a short while later the camera swiched off. In fact the battery performance has been so bad, i've not been able to take it out to test it, just got some shots around the home and garden.

Oddly, these batteries work perfectly fine in my Fuji 602 which is over 4 years old, when i've taken it out on trips i've managed a whole days shooting on 2 sets.

The few pics I did get were nice though, but I think i'm sticking with my 602 for a while longer.

The image below was taken hand held with the 500mm Mirror lens at ISO 400 of birds at the bottom of the garden. It's a 100% crop straight from the camera, no processing at all. Probably could have been even sharper if i'd used a tripod lol - but not bad for hand held at an equivelant focal length of 750mm.

Attached Images

Old Nov 29, 2006, 9:26 PM   #9

Sorry your camera didn't work out - did you exchange it? How old are the batteries? The reason I ask is thatbatteries do wear out, andmy K100D seems to be picky about batteries -my Sanyo 2500 batteries that work very well buta set of 2500 Duracells don't last as long.

I'm impressed with your one bird picture - sure hope you get a good K100D next time.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 3:11 AM   #10

No, I decided to ask for a refund. The batteries are about 8 months old - but even so I still think it's a defect - I should get more than 20 pictures from them lol. And as I mentioned earlier they work perfectly in everything else i've used them in. You could end up spending a fortune on batteries beofre finding a set that work properly.

Here's another hand held 500mm Mirror lens shot (100% crop sraight from camera). And talking of lenses - if anyone spots the SMC-M 135mm f3.5, get one, it's incredibly sharp.

Attached Images