Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 27, 2006, 12:46 PM   #1
TDN

I can get this one in K-mount for ±78 USD (60 euros), from someone in my country.

I've been wanting a real macro lens for a while, since messing around with those fully manual non-bodycoupled tubes is too much work for me (yes, I'm lazy )

Any experiences with this one? I think I'm going to go for it...

Kiron 105mm f2.8 macro

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2006, 12:59 PM   #2
TDN

just spent 30 minutes googling it.

I didnt hesitate and went for it. This seems to be very nice glass, even among the demanding N* users
The actual results will have to wait until I pick it up myself of course...

Tom
Old Nov 27, 2006, 1:24 PM   #3

I have a different Kiron lens (80-200 macro, bought new by my father a long time ago) and it has oil on the aperture leaves. From what I've read, this is a common problem with old Kiron lenses, so make sure yours doesn't suffer from it. There's been discussion here about either fixing it yourself (not me!) or sending it out for repair (one of the websites said they would clean them for something like $75.00 Can) so they can be fixed. The lens you just bought has an outstanding reputation, whereas mine is run-of-the-mill and I'm not sure its worth getting it fixed. On the other hand, I wouldn't hesitate with the 105mm macro.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 1:40 PM   #4
TDN

Good that you've told me, I'll pay extra attention to that, thanks!

I recognize this by stopping aperture all the way down to f22 and then touching the little handle on the lens mount right? If everything "snaps" open and closed, the lens should be fine. Correct me if I'm wrong please

Tom
Old Nov 27, 2006, 1:54 PM   #5

While the lens is off the camera, turning the aperture ring will cause the leaves to move, so see if they move correctly. On mine I can see a bit of oil on one of the leaves when I get the lens to stop down a bit (it does sometimes, if I play with it a bit). And yes, once you stop it down, see if everything "snaps" when you operate the lever (mine usually will open but not stop down again).

I hadn't even thought about checking the one I had, just thought it was a pretty soft lens. Then one day I used the DOF preview button at something like f22and noticed that the viewfinder didn't get dark - ooops!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 3:14 PM   #6

TDN wrote:
Quote:
just spent 30 minutes googling it.

I didnt hesitate and went for it. This seems to be very nice glass, even among the demanding N* users
The actual results will have to wait until I pick it up myself of course...

Tom
You won't regret the decision, but if you don't want it - :blah:you can sell it to me for 80 Dollars - LOL
HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 3:29 PM   #7

I have been searching for a good prime 1:1 macro lens under $100. I saw some pictures from the Vivitar 105mm macro and the picture was amazing. The guy bought it for $50 or so on ebay. But I havn't had any luck finding that lens close to that price.

I would like to see how well that lens is when you get it. Be sure to post up some sample picture of what it is able to do.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 3:38 PM   #8

my vivitar is the same lens. it's got the A setting tho. have fun. it's a great lens. my vivitar was actually made by Kino(kiron).

roy
only thing i don't like about the 2 vivitars i have is that they focus the opposite direction than my other pentax lenses.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 6:41 PM   #9

Along with the FA 50mm 1.7, that is one of my two favorite lenses. Like Roy, I have an "A" version. On Ebay they generally seem to go for about $200, so I think you got a steal. It is an absolutely fantastic lens.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 7:47 PM   #10

That lens is actually an "A" version. That model only came for KA mount....

The attached pictures show not the actual lens. Seems to bethe Olympus mount model and is from this page.

http://homepage3.nifty.com/3rdpartylens-om/

(some serious drool about lenses on that page btw..)
HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote