Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 28, 2006, 3:49 PM   #1

Okay, I just traded my Kodak P880 for a Pentax istDL kit, any must haves for this besides a UV filter, CPL filter? What are some good lenses to get to start out with. I noticed some Zenitar fisheyeshots, and mentioning of other name brand lenses, but where do you get these and are they made for the Pentax cameras? or are they actually made for other cameras and fitted to the Pentax with an adapter?
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2006, 4:13 PM   #2

If you want to buy a new lens, I'd suggest the Pentax DA50-200 zoom. There's a $50 rebate on it right now meaning the final price should be around $175. It's small and light, about the same size as the kit lens, and takes great shots. This would cover you for a wide range of photography situations, with a focal range from 18mm to 200mm.

After using these two lenses for a while, you can see where you take most of your shots (closer to the wide end, or closer to the long end). Then you can look to buy some nice, fast prime lenses in the area where you shoot the most. Two of my favorites are the Pentax FA50mm f/1.4 (purchased new, but really hard to find now) and the Pentax SMC-A 135mm/f2.8 (you can find these for around $60-75). In fact, there are a lot of 135mm lenses out there for a variety of prices. I bought a Sears multicoated 135mm/f2.8 manual lens for $5! It took great pictures, but since I already had another 135mm, I sold it to a student for the same $5. The possibilities are endless.

Once you start looking at older lenses, check out http://stans-photography.info/for good info on these lenses. This will tell you what to look for on ePrey or at your local pawn shops and camera shows. Don't worry, you'll never run out of lenses to buy. :lol:

Good luck!

Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 4:16 PM   #3
TDN

Do a search for "LBA" (Lens Buying Addiction) on this forum and you'll see plenty of examples :-)

I have the DL too. I buy everything 2nd hand. Or if it's new, from ebay at a lower price.

Look for K-mount lenses. you have several mounts: K, KA, KAF, KAF2, ... each with its own features. All of them are backwards compatible. That means you can use older lenses on newer mounts. M42 screw mounts can be used fully manually with an adapter.

The DL will take any Pentax lens ever made and several third party lenses.

look here for more info:
Stan's Pentax Photography

Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Equipment Page

(bookmark them)

Congrats with your new camera, and welcome to the forum. You'll see that you can have a lot of fun with a camera like that

greets,
Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 4:41 PM   #4

Welcome to the world of Pentax! The right lens depends on what you like to take pictures of. Start playing with the kit lens and see where you find its short-comings (do you want a longer zoom?). If you find you want something longer, the DA 50-200 is a good buy and not that much money. Many are happy with just those two lenses and never want anything else.

I like taking macros and ended up buying an inexpensive macro lens. I didn't think I could handle anything longer than the 200 without SR, so I bought the K100D beforebuying a 300mm lens, and then waited until I could find one of the top quality Pentax primes (not being made at the moment).

If you start buying used lenses, make sure you know what you are buying. Pentax digital cameras can use any Pentax lens ever made, but a 25 year old manual lens will not suddenly become auto focus/auto exposure, so make sure you know what the differences between the types are (the links posted above are excellent resources for learning that). Out of 5 lenses I carry around all the time, 2 are manual (I bought them new in 1980), one is auto exposure/manual focus (bought used thisyear)and 2 are fully automatic.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 4:57 PM   #5

Quote:
any must haves for this besides a UV filter, CPL filter?
A good set of Ni-MH AA batteries and charger for all the shooting you'll be doing. I've been very happy with my Panasonic 2300mAh, but there are lots of good choices.
michaelchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 8:54 AM   #6

Okay... i have been looking over lenses on ebay and see some things I don't quite understand.

Mainly, the ratios... I see some 1:1, 1:2, etc. What does this mean?
Old Nov 29, 2006, 9:18 AM   #7

inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:
Okay... i have been looking over lenses on ebay and see some things I don't quite understand.

Mainly, the ratios... I see some 1:1, 1:2, etc. What does this mean?
The ratios apply to macro lenses, a 1:2 ratio will produce an image on the sensor that is 1/2 the size of the actual subject, a 1:1 is better because the image on the sensor is the same size as the actual subject.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 9:27 AM   #8

Thanks... That's what I thought, but wasn't completely sure... What about mirror lenses? How do they work?

Also, lens reversing rings... useless? or not?
Old Nov 29, 2006, 9:36 AM   #9

inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:
Thanks... That's what I thought, but wasn't completely sure... What about mirror lenses? How do they work?

Also, lens reversing rings... useless? or not?
Mirror lenses are a cheap, light alternative to a normal lens but they lack an aperture control and the out-of-focus highlights are little donuts.

Haven't used a reversing ring.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 12:05 PM   #10

Okay... I was checking out some of the items available and I was trying to find out what is useful and what is crap.