Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 28, 2006, 11:47 PM   #1

These two pictures were taken less than 24 hours apart. The first one is in the "can you guess what/where this is" category. It isn't that great, but I thought it was kind-of interesting, and offered a neat contrast to the second picture.Let me know if you think it's garbage, abstracts aren't my usual thing. The story behind it is that we were on our way home Sunday (spending Thanksgiving with family) and the I-15 was packed. When we got to Jean, my other half suggested that we take a much longer, but hopefully not so heavily traveledroute back to Frazier Park. I took this picture along the way - can anyone guess what it's a picture of, and where I took it?
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2006, 11:51 PM   #2

Harriet, Looks like the salt flats !? I don't see the second picture? Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 11:54 PM   #3

Monday we got up at our usual 4AM. This is what I found in my front yard - neat view (too bad it was so dark and I only had the on-board flash). It's a totally different type of white from the first picture, and separated by less than 24 hours. Odd place we live in, isn't it?
Attached Images

Old Nov 28, 2006, 11:55 PM   #4

Tiger - I had to post a second one, the first one was too big! Youare way too quick.
Old Nov 29, 2006, 12:26 AM   #5

First I saw a beach (mostly water), but then I saw the road. Is it a salt pan? or is it a valley with clouds seen fom above? (But then, how can one see the road?) No, you beat me with this one, Harriet.

I suppose I should congratulate you to the snow. It feels like congratulating the monk to his new itchy horse hair shirt. :lol::lol:

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 2:34 PM   #6

Why am I not surprised that someone one state over, with more desert than we have would recognize salt flats? This is a picture of a salt flat, taken from a point around 6,000 feet above it.

An interesting thing I found out Sunday - my GPS device gives you elevation from sea levelbased on satellites (lock on 4 points gives a 3D location). It can't show negative numbers, apparently.
Old Nov 29, 2006, 4:23 PM   #7

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
This is a picture of a salt flat,
Don't you call it "salt pan" in America, as "we" do in Africa (I guess my English is rather influenced from SA, where I've spent quite some time).

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 4:52 PM   #8

just a quick pointer that, yes, the i-15 traffic was garbage.. unfortunately i didnt know of any other way home from vegas :lol:
plagued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 10:12 PM   #9

Mine was an interesting trip. We avoided a back-up by taking Las Vegas Blvd. all the way to Jean, NV. Then we decided to bail out of the I-15. There's a road that goes from Jean to Goodsprings and Sandy Valley, no problem with that part. However, the map program I was using doesn't differentiate between backroads that are paved and graded dirt roads, and the road from Sandy to the main road to Pahrump, NVwasn't paved for about 15 bone-jarring miles. We would have done better to go back into Las Vegas and take Blue Diamond Road (the main road into Pahrump). Yes, there really is a town called Pahrump, and by now anyone who knows the area is probably thinking we were crazy to go this route.

There are a couple of choices from near Pahrump - you can go through Shoshone (wasn't sure if all the roads were paved and I wasn't in the mood for more rough roads)or go the way we went - a road that meets up with Hwy 190 at Death Valley Junction. We went the other way - I wanted to stop at Dantes View, even though this was an unplanned trip to a national park is no reason to pass up a photo opportunity (it was hazy and so wasn't the greatest for taking pictures of things around 6,000 feet below). The salt flats photographed are those near Badwater in Death Valley National Park - the lowest point in the United States.

We stayed on the 190 through the valley (I've got to spend at least a weekend there sometime - what a wonderful place for scenic photography!), over the mountains on the west side of the park, then took another back road through Trona, Ridgecrest and Hwy 14. A pretty, interesting drive through some desolate desert terrain.

Everything went well until we got near Mojave, where we ran into road construction and a big back-up. I'm sure we ended up spending more time on the road because it adds over 100 miles, but there wasn't much traffic, the scenery wonderful, and (other than the construction north of Mojave) an uncrowded drive.

What I found so interesting was that in the distance of several hundred miles (and less than 24 hours)I could go from one extreme - dry, extreme desert, below sea level salt flats -to high country snow. California is certainly a place of extremes.

P.S. - the book I have on Death Valley uses both the terms "salt pan" and "salt flats" for the area. It's a fascinating area, regardless of what its called.