Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 29, 2006, 6:16 PM   #1

Many thanks to all here for the information you provide to "lurkers" like me as wetry to sort out buying decisions.

I'm a "sorta" newbie because I participated in the Nikon forum4 or 5 years ago. That's when I boughtthe Coolpix 990 that I an finallyreplacing (well, augmenting really - I still REALLY like the 990). Anyway after a year or two of looking and debating I finally decided thatnothing in the current P&S world really seems like a step up. It was the SR that led me to look at Pentax dSLR's. Some form of stabilization is really important to me and I just don't have the $$$ to pay for it in every lens I buy.

Once I looked at Pentax, the availability of good, compact lenses was another big plus, as was Pentax's approach to design. They seem to me to be genuinely trying to give consumers as much functionality as possible in a camera withoutsacrificing image quality. Some of the other manufacturers seem to leave things out of their lower priced cameras just to protect the high-end models.

After much soul searching :?I ordered the K100D instead of the K10D. I really hate to startout in the dSLR world with camera envy going full force, but I thinkthe K100Dwill be plenty of camera for me. I 'll certainly behappy if I can take pics anywhere near as good as the K100 shotsI've seen here. Plus, starting with theK100 will allow me to put more money into lenses. At this point I think the glass will make more difference to me than the additional features of the K10. And of course if I do upgrade to a new body at some point, Pentax's commitment to supporting their old lenses should protect my investment.

I plan to start out with the kit lens while I'm learning to use the camera. I'm still a little torn between the DA 50-200 and the DA-21as the first addition. The 50-200 wouldgive more versatility, but I would really like to have a small lens would make it easier to carry the camera when hiking and sight-seeing. Since it would be mostly used forlandscape/architectural shots, the DA-21 seems like a good choice.

Anyway, I'll be posting pics as soon as I get some that are halfway decent. That may be after Christmas though. The camera is a present from my wife so unless I can come up with a good excuse, I won't be able to use it until then. (HMMM, maybe "I need to learn to use it so we don't miss any priceless shots of the grandchildren.") We'll see. When I do get to post some,I'd really appreciate your commentsand criticisms (even brutal ones).

Thanks again for the help.

Dave

dave_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2006, 6:21 PM   #2

dave_g wrote:
Quote:
"I need to learn to use it so we don't miss any priceless shots of the grandchildren.") We'll see. When I do get to post some,I'd really appreciate your commentsand criticisms (even brutal ones).

Thanks again for the help.

Dave

for sure!!!!!!
welcome to the board.. not much brutality here

roy
Old Nov 29, 2006, 6:49 PM   #3

robar wrote:
Quote:
for sure!!!!!!
welcome to the board.. not much brutality here

roy
Thanks Roy. It does seem like a very freindly board. That's one of the main things that attracted me. I do hope people are willing to critique pretty bluntly though. I'm thick-skinned (some would say dense) enough that subtle criticisms may go right on by.

Dave
Old Nov 29, 2006, 7:13 PM   #4

Welcome Dave

I'm looking Forward to seeing some great pictures!

BK/Phil

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 8:35 PM   #5

Hi and Congratulaions,

This forum is one of the most friendly and helpful forum out there. I too am now an Official Pentax system owner.

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 10:52 PM   #6

Welcome to the board, and that we can help lurkers make good decisions.

I have the K100D and love it. I think your decision to save the money and use it for lenses is excellent - I bought a green star lens a while ago and its made me appreciate good lenses.

This is just my 2 cents - I thought that the kit lens was surprisingly light, but you might not (my experience with SLR lenses was with 1980s variety lenses, well built but heavy). I started off hiking with the kit lens and a very heavy 80-200 Kiron lens. Quickly decided that wasn't for me so I bought the DA 50-200, which is much lighter. I now hike with the DA 50-200, a M 50mm 1.7 and a M 24mm 2.8. These work well because they are small, though the two manual lenses are probably heavier than the kit lens (but they are faster so a bit more versatile). Every time I take only one lens hiking I'll run across something that makes me say "if only I had ____ lens (fill in the blank, it doesn't matter which lens(es) I have, I always want one I don't have)."

So I wouldn't rule out hiking with the kit lens. Try it once or twice and see what you think.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 11:29 PM   #7

Thanks Phil! I hope neither of us will be disappointed. I'm thinking of some African Swallows for a first subject. I just have to figure out their airspeed first.:-) (That is a scene from In Search of the Holy Grail isn't it?)

Dave
Old Nov 29, 2006, 11:32 PM   #8

dave_g wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Phil! I hope neither of us will be disappointed. I'm thinking of some African Swallows for a first subject. I just have to figure out their airspeed first.:-) (That is a scene from In Search of the Holy Grail isn't it?)
With or without the coconuts?

Paul
pbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 12:17 AM   #9

Thanks Rudy & mtngal!

mtngal, I may be a little paranoid about size/weight issues. I guess it's just that the K100 with a pancake really isn't much bigger thanmy old990, so it's close to the size I'm used to carrying. I'll certainly try hiking with the kit lensbefore buying anything else.

The lenses you listed are about what I was thinking I would want. The only one that surprised me was the 24mm. Seems like it fallsin the best part of the DA 18-55's range. Do you find it worthwhile to carry it for IQ, ormore because it's faster?

Dave
Old Nov 30, 2006, 12:19 AM   #10

pbender wrote:
Quote:
dave_g wrote:
Quote:
With or without the coconuts?

Paul
uh well... I don't kn... aaaahhhhhhh!