Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 30, 2006, 2:29 AM   #1

These flowers recently blossomed from the most scraggy, ugly bush in the garden, I was quite surprised really.

All shots were handheld, ISO 200-400
nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2006, 6:20 AM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Very nice! I like the lighting on #1. Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 8:10 AM   #3

Like the first one. The second one is interesting, but I think I might have tried for a bigger DOF (just my opinion). Looks like a hibiscus variety?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 8:23 AM   #4

lens?? exif???

you're getting good.

roy
Old Nov 30, 2006, 9:04 AM   #5

Those are great!! Hibiscus is one of the most interesting Flowers to shoot!
HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 11:34 AM   #6

Great to see that stuff down under, especially to bring hope for us snow bound here. I have both the M50-f1.7 and M50-f4 macro and I like the manual focus for flowers. Both great lenses, with super sharpness and contrast.

I'm afraid it'll be 3 more months before the wildflowers start to peek out here. It was 10 degrees this morning and we have about 8" of that white stuff some people call snow. I read on the news this morning that Seattle broke a 1933 record for most rain in one month at 15.45". That's what they get for living on the west side of the Cascades. It's a desert here on the East side- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 11:45 AM   #7

Wow. I'm impressed. Looks like I need to start shopping for some extension tubes. Any particular one that you would recommend?
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 3:44 PM   #8

Oh and what length of extension tubes did you use? Any advantage to using extension tubes with auto feature? Seems to be more expensive with the auto versions. Basically these are just hollow tubes right? No glass?
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 6:29 PM   #9

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Mtngal, thanks for the ID, I was wondering what to title these shots on Flickr. I'm useless when it comes to indentifying flowers

Roy, the lense was the M 50mm 1.7 and I used 13mm or 21mm of extenstion tube depending on the shot.

[line]

Royce10, There are several types of tubes available, all just tubes, no glass.

- My extenstion tubes are made by Aico. They have aperture coupling so they operate the same way as the M 50 1.7 would on its own. (set aperture on the lense, press AE-L, it stops down, meters then you shoot)

- The basic tubes come without this coupling so you would have to always setup the shot while stopped down. These are the cheapest tubes you can get and IMO not worth the hassle as for macro you will be shooting at small apertures.

- Then there is the tubes with aperture coupling as well as the electrical contacts. These tubes are best used if you are using modern lenses, or anything after A. These will allow you to set aperture on the camera body, but no AF.

- Then there are tubes which have everything including AF. These are very expensive but the lense will operate exactly how it would without the tubes.

It depends what lense you plan on using as to which set of tubes you should get.
If you plan on using an M lense then get the ones with the aperture coupling, but no contacts.
If you plan on using a newer lense that has the electrical contacts but no aperture ring you'll have to get the more expensive electrical tubes.

Hope that helps.

nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 10:57 PM   #10

Just an additional comment about taking macro pictures - I have an AF macro lens, but never use AF when taking macros. The lens hunts too much and the DOF is so small, you end up by focusing by leaning anyway.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote