Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 30, 2006, 10:11 AM   #1
TDN

During a break from programming, I went outside and tested my new (well, used...) Kiron 105mm

Like I said, the outside of the lens is in worse condition than I'm usually comfortable with, but the pictures! Holy sh*t!

First I tried it handheld with the flash.

Results were ok, but nowhere near as good as I wanted them to be with a lens like this.

Then I became smarter and gave them a little more dof by turning the aperture down and kicking the ISO up to 400...and got the tripod out! (A cheap simple slik tripod with a 2-way head)

Now that's better! Then I decided to go even closer and take back the dof a bit.

This was the kind of shot I was hoping for

Here's one of the whole flower for comparison. It's the last rose in my garden that keeps fighting the cold winter...

Conclusion:

The lens is great, I have a lot to learn and I need a better tripod! :lol:

One of these days I plan to go to the butterfly garden at about an hour drive from here. That should get me some more interesting shots...

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2006, 10:55 AM   #2

Looks like you'll be occupied fora while. And it looks like there's nothing wrong with your aperture leaves - looks like a "keeper" to me, no matter how rough looking it might be on the outside.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 12:37 PM   #3

Nice macros. I like the color and sharp details. Every lens has its own personality and it takes time to learn how to get the most out of it. And there in is the fun of dslr photography. Looking forward to seeing more of your macros. If it is too cold outside, try shooting macro shots around the house. Often it can yield very interesting results of common everyday objects.
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 7:40 PM   #4

Very nice!
I think I should start looking for a dedicated macro lense...
nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 7:53 PM   #5

Hi,

Remember that what the equipment looks like does not mean that it won't perform... Nice Shots..

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 9:45 PM   #6

You had me worried for a minute!

I have one of these lenses coming and the first couple of shots had me thinking I'd made a wrong choice.

BUT! the later ones confirm the lens is capable of great shots. Good stuff.

Tom Lusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 10:34 PM   #7

Tom Lusk wrote:
Quote:
You had me worried for a minute!

I have one of these lenses coming and the first couple of shots had me thinking I'd made a wrong choice.

BUT! the later ones confirm the lens is capable of great shots. Good stuff.

any thing this lens takes that's OOF or blurdedis the operaters fault. the 2nd image is an example of it.

GREAT shots tom(tdn)!!! this lense gets easier to use with practice. shooting at 1:1 is a lot harder than most realize off camera flash will help a lot..

you've got one of the best macro lens that has ever been produced!!! i know someone here that sold their $500 pentax because it just was not better than this lens. altho it was an AF lens. AF is ,IMHO, is not something you need at 1:1

keep on shooting,
roy