Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 1, 2006, 11:09 AM   #11

Hi Agian,

Did you enjoy the SNOW and COLD that we sent you??? We had extra so we thought we would share it with all of the people down south...

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 12:19 PM   #12

I'm with JimC - Firefox and especially Thunderbird are the way to go (OE has even more issues and is even more creaky and ancient than IE6). Of course, if you're using XP, you can't re-install OE (or IE6) as they're built-in.

I use Firefox exclusively and have no problems here. Maybe I'm not trying to do anything fancy - but if there are problems, it's almost certainly the forum software's fault, not Firefox. IE7 is supposed to follow web standards more closely so many sites that give FF problems will also give IE7 problems.

I also recommend Adblock, Fxif (show exif data in image properties), and Mouse Gestures. There are a ton of other really useful add-ons as well.

Good luck getting the PC working. I do PC repairs on the side (and just reimaged my work laptop from Vista back to XP) and can say that generally putting on a fresh install of Windows should be pretty painless unless you have some sort of hardware problem.

Damfino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 12:40 PM   #13

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Why bother?

Install Firefox and use it instead of IE, and install Thunderbird and use it insted of OE.

If you have sites that require IE, use an extension to "spoof" it (return the UA for IE versus Firefox).

I'll agree with Jim on this. I Only use FF and T-Bird.
As For Reformatting. I have a seperate USB HD, Which i backup all My important Files(Docs-Pics Etc.) On that HD i have a fresh Image Of my HD with only my Important programs.
Only If its absolutly Nessesary Will I Completely reformat

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 2:48 PM   #14

actually, there's a lot of people that call me for help with there OS. i've ran a dual boot before and i did not use it enough to keep it. things pile up, mistakes are made and eventually everything slows down. i have gotten to the point where i don't loose anything but it's still a PITA. of course i'm doing it again as i write..wow, i'm at 68 of 70 updates. probably need to leave.. BYE

roy

jim, thanks for the advice but i just don't have the time to learn a new OS.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 3:52 PM   #15

well, second time around is looking better. once i get all my files and settings restored i''ll know more.
NOW!! i remember why i put this off for so long.. it's a good reason..

roy
Old Dec 1, 2006, 4:14 PM   #16

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Jim

I have both IE7 and Firefox. I can't get this forum to work properly with Firefox. My replies always format differently.

Any suggestions?

Ira
A few things to try with Firefox........
1. Firefox version 2.0
2. Try disabling extensions 1 at a time. If that doesn't work, try 3.
3. Make a new profile and reinstall 1 extension at a time, checking for your problem each time. Easiest way to make a new profile without losing the old one is to use a '-p' switch in your Firefox shortcut added to end of the shortcut properties Target line. It's not essential but it's best to backup your bookmarks.html file first.

SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 6:13 PM   #17

success!!!! didn't lose a thing..
hopefully not for at least another year...

roy
Old Dec 1, 2006, 7:02 PM   #18

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Jim

I have both IE7 and Firefox. I can't get this forum to work properly with Firefox. My replies always format differently.

Any suggestions?

Ira
When I reply to someone, (like now) the first thing I do in the reply window is press CTRL+A and CTRL+X
This selects everything and cuts it all.
Then press return and CTRL+V to past the reply back in.
The cursor should be underneath the text and I can start typing out the reply.
This way your reply doesn't go all weird or end up inside the quote.
nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 7:16 PM   #19
Administrator

The only time I have any serious issues with it is when I have quotes within quotes.

Then, I'll usually just copy and paste the text and use code tags to quote someone instead:
Code:
Quote:
Text I want to quote
But, unless I'm trying to use quotes within quotes (which can cause an issue), all I do is use the down Arrow key to get to the last line of the quoted text, then use the End key to get my cursor outside of the Quote Box. Then, I press Return to put in an extra line before starting new text.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 7:33 PM   #20

sounds like a lot of trouble to me. in IE , i just delete the quote i don't want and click below the quote to add to the message. if i want to answer ?? within the quote i'll change the color of the answer..
i went thru the alternate OSs and multi-boot and the alternate browsers some time ago and my hat is off to all of you that are promoting anything not M$. guess i'm just a windows freak because i found out i like it easy..

down and out in dallas,
roy