Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 1, 2006, 8:26 PM   #21
Administrator

robar wrote:
Quote:
sounds like a lot of trouble to me. in IE , i just delete the quote i don't want and click below the quote to add to the message.
It's really not any trouble at all. Just press the End key from within a quote box, and it will bring your cursor to the right of it, press Enter once and type your response.

Two Keystrokes after using Quote to respond (End and Enter). No big deal. ;-)

Quote:
if i want to answer ?? within the quote i'll change the color of the answer.
I hate it when people do that (change text color). lol I wish there was an easy way to disable that ability :-)

Depending on the board theme, it often makes text unreadable when someone changes the text colors from defaults.. A color that's readable using one theme may blend into the background using a different theme. So, I can't read text at all without highlighting it relatively often.

I am using a new "trick" lately to help get around that issue... I have an extension for Firefox installed called PrefBar that lets me turn off colors with a check box and press of the reload button, giving me black on white text, regardless of the board theme and colors a member chose to use.

I keep mine set to the "Default" Board Theme here. Most users are using the "Shades" Board Theme (which more closely matches the colors of the main site at http://www.steves-digicams.com ). We default new members to "Shades" versus "Default".

But, you can change your Theme under My Account>Preferences, or by going to this link:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/m..._preferences=1

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 8:44 PM   #22

Ultimately, again, any FF behavior issue is caused by non-standard HTML using in WowBB, either in the main program or in the theme. FF works perfectly on every other forum I've used - and generally works fine here.

Robar, you really should give FF 2.0 a try. I think it's much easier to use than IE, as well as being far more powerful - and most importantly, it's far more PLEASANT to use.

As for Thunderbird vs OE - TB's built-in spam detection alone makes in a no-brainer. The anti-phishing, no remote image loading on unknown messages, much better support for multiple accounts, etc, only sweeten the deal - and again, it's every bit as easy to use as OE. Mozilla really worked hard to focus on ease of use when they split off FF and TB from the Mozilla suite.

Damfino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 12:12 AM   #23
Administrator

Damfino wrote:
Quote:
Ultimately, again, any FF behavior issue is caused by non-standard HTML using in WowBB, either in the main program or in the theme. FF works perfectly on every other forum I've used - and generally works fine here.
The colors issue is a problem with IE, too. It's mostly because the "Shades" theme is custom to our site, and the colors don't always translate correctly when a different theme is used (and I prefer the "Default" theme instead of "Shades"). So, if someone changes their text colors, it may or may not not be readable by someone using a different theme, depending on the color used.

The developers of WowBB actually made a lot of changes to improve Firefox compatibliity in newer versions (the early ones didn't even have WYSIWYG editing with Firefox). There are a few quirks left. But, they're so minor that they don't bother me at all. Firefox is my browser of choice on most sites, including this one.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 4:25 AM   #24

gawd,, never thought this thread would still be here for2 pages.. i'm happy with what i'm using and that's what counts. actually i like Vbulletin boards over wowBB anytime.problem here is that most people that join have no idea that they can change their theme to something more readable than the black background..i'm sure that turns some people off to joining.. oh, and jim, i'm fully aware of having to hi-lite the text.. yellow is just unreadable except when you are using the blk background.

anyway, all is well here,
roy