Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 30, 2006, 9:46 PM   #1

i've needed to for at least a year..
can't get ie7 to load
haven't loaded any graphic programs.
can't reinstall my OE
been on it for 7 hours and i'm beat, for the time being

we've been hit with a major winter storm today. nothing to what you notherner's are use to but it closes down the city here.....

roy
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2006, 5:51 AM   #2

Here's some moral support Roy.

What should I say, Keep Cool or Keep warm!!
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 8:05 AM   #3

If it were me, I'd be heading to a computer guru. When I had my laptop's memory installed I had them run a diagnostic - was surprised at how much spyware the several programs I run missed. Back in my Mac days I didn't think computers were that bad, and then I bought a Windows machine. At first that wasn't that big of a deal but now it is so complicated, I've given up trying to figure it all out. Frustrating!

And whenever you start a computer add-on or whatever, it will always take 5 times longer than you expect it to.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 8:39 AM   #4

Faced with a problematic build a few weeks ago - even when ghosted imagesdidn't fullycure the problem, I decided to reload the operating system from scratch to a minimum build of what I really wanted.

It's amazing how much 'junk' builds up & slows things down - especially if you're like me & like to dabble with new trial programs etc.

It's always best to keep the current OS on one drive & install the new OS on a second (BUT disconnect the current drive or Windows will create a dual boot system) - that way you don't actually loose anything & data can be transferred across to the new build. Hard disks are relatively cheap these days & it's handy having a second to back up data onto just in case one crashes - as they do!

Best of luck.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 9:35 AM   #5
Administrator

Why bother?

Install Firefox and use it instead of IE, and install Thunderbird and use it insted of OE.

If you have sites that require IE, use an extension to "spoof" it (return the UA for IE versus Firefox).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 9:41 AM   #6

Jim

I have both IE7 and Firefox. I can't get this forum to work properly with Firefox. My replies always format differently.

Any suggestions?

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 9:47 AM   #7
Administrator

P.S.

Or better yet, leave some room on that newly reformatted drive for Linux partitions (and you can use free partitioning tools to resize your NTFS partition to make room for Linux and a free bootloader so that you can still use XP if you have to).

I keep my PC setup in triboot configuration with XP Pro and two different Linux Distributions. I spend most of my time in Linux.

My suggestion for new Linux users is SimplyMEPIS

You can download it from here, bun the ISO to CD, and have it installed and running in about 15 minutes after booting into the Live CD:

http://www.mepis.org/node/1462

You can find a review of it here:

http://raldztech.blogspot.com/2006/0...esktop-on.html

That way, you avoid these kinds of headaches (screen prints from a couple of weeks ago when I checked to see what "Critical Updates" were being installed on my PC *that time*:

Old Dec 1, 2006, 9:49 AM   #8
Administrator

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Jim

I have both IE7 and Firefox. I can't get this forum to work properly with Firefox. My replies always format differently.

Any suggestions?

Ira
I never use IE here in the forums (I use Firefox). :-)

There are some "quirks" with it, but nothing you can't work around. For example, if you quote someone, it's a good idea to use your down Arrow key to get to the last line of the quoted text, then use the End key to get to the end before Pressing Return to start new text.

I probably use code tags around quoted text typed in manually just as often (and there is no problem doing it that way).

From my perspective, the "quirks" with Firefox are relatively minor and I never use IE here (or anywhere else if I don't have to).

Old Dec 1, 2006, 9:59 AM   #9

An avid windows user since forever, Id have to say im rather enjoying my new Macbook
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 11:07 AM   #10

Hi Roy,

Did you try a system restore point? IE 7 is still too new for me to use. I still use IE 6 and no problems.

If you can(like you should have been doing) use your backup... If you can't then save all of your file into folders and put them into My Documents. Then burn them to a CD. Once you have all of your files saved and burned reinstall your operating system. Do it one step at a time. This way you will have less problems.

REMEMBER BACKUP THE SYSTEM AND FILES!!!!!

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote