Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 1, 2006, 2:05 PM   #1

Pros/Cons??? I just picked up a Chinon-Auto 50mm f/1.9 lens DIRT CHEAP... If it's crap... no big deal... It didn't cost much at all... Any experiance with this brand?
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2006, 2:29 PM   #2

I've got two Chinon 50 mm lenses - Auto 1.9 and Auto 1.7. They are average 50 mm lenses, nothing wrong with them. 50 mm lenses are usually good who ever made them. I don't use any of mine since I've also got the Pentax FA 50 mm 1.4, but they are OK. Not more, not less. Just go ahead and use yours, I'm sure you'll be very happy with it.

Just wonder what "Auto" means, since they are manual focus and manual aperture (no A-setting on the ring) lenses. So you'll have to choose "allow aperture ring" in the menu and use the M-mode.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 2:34 PM   #3

I was wondering the same thing about the "Auto" part, I noticed that there was no 'A' setting on the aperature ring...hmmm ... So is 10 bucks shipped a reasonable price? or did I pay too much?

Also, has anyone heard of Star-D lenses?
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 3:38 AM   #4

Any working lens for ten bucks is a find.:!:

If you mean Pentax Digital star lenses, they are in the pipeline. They will be weather sealed, and I suppose overall high quality and expensive.

Kjell
Old Dec 3, 2006, 12:35 PM   #5

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
Just wonder what "Auto" means, since they are manual focus and manual aperture (no A-setting on the ring) lenses. So you'll have to choose "allow aperture ring" in the menu and use the M-mode.

Kjell
Kjell, you have been at this much longer than I, so correct me if I am wrong. After some initial misunderstanding of this issue, someone on this board (Roy maybe) explained to me that the auto on this type of lens means it has the diagaphram lever (not sure of the correct nomenclature) that allowed the lens to be focused wide open and then stop down automatically when the shutter was released. At least that is my current understanding, which may still be wrong.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 2:02 PM   #6

I think you're perfectly right. That's what "Automatic" stands for on my extension tubes.

Kjell