Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 2, 2006, 10:31 PM   #1

Shot this bird with the DS today! 3 degrees, 40 mph wind, but the sun was out.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2006, 11:19 PM   #2

I like it . You did very gooood.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
FZ 30, Nikon TCE17, QuikAim Max RDS, Zeiss Digiscope/Sony W7

WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 11:20 PM   #3

Very nice, as usual. 3 degrees and a 40 mph wind? While I like snow, that's a bit cold for me.

How do your cameras handle the cold? I snowshoed with the DS last winter, but it wasn't THAT cold those days.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 11:25 PM   #4

Wow! Cool shot!

Just curious: how do you handle the camera and lenses at that temperature?
I often get lots of condensation once getting them out of the car. And do not feel comfortable exposing the body (and here I mean camera body's :-)) to it.

Fot those down south: once you get past a certain temperature threshold it ain't that bad anymore:-) (you should see folks in short sleeves around here after a week or two of sub-zero temperatures, and I mean Fahrenheit). Remember: everything is relative

DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 12:33 AM   #5

Ok, you beat me. It was 5 degrees in Yakima this morning. Haven't seen any ring necks out, but we have lots of Quail looking for food and trying to stay warm. We have quite a few ring necks inour area, along with Coyotes. Both like to make themselves scarce around me. A couple of Coyotes can sound like a whole pack of dogs at night. The Quail though are just like chickens, fun to watch- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 1:19 AM   #6

Great shot. Bird's plumage is absolutely iridescent with the play of light. You should send in into Field & Stream magazine.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 3:18 AM   #7

*whistles appreciately* Very nice capture. Not only was it sharp and clear, it was an action shot too. Nice details and colors on the plumage. I'm curious. What aspects of the K10D do you think helped you to capture that shot that your DS couldn't? Or perhaps made that shot better? The way I see it, there are 3 basic elements that combine to produce this pic. The lens, the body, and the photographers skill. You are a very skilled photographer, no question. How much did the k10D factor in. I'm curious as to your opinion.

Looking forward to seeing more of your pics. Stay warm!

Addendum: Doh! Sorry. Just looked at the exif info. You shot this pic with your DS. Ok. Nevermind my quesiton. LOL.:?
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 7:56 AM   #8

looks like it didn't want to be around you at all.. were you thinking of having him for supper??

roy
Old Dec 3, 2006, 10:40 PM   #9

Only check the forum once a day out here, which is why I am so slow with my reply.

First, the DS (K10D is too new to take out in the snow yet) works pretty well in the cold, although I never had it out for more than an hour.

For those of you interested, I think the DS/K100 cameras will do as good a job as the K10D even with action shots like the Pheasant. This was also shot in jpg at ISO 400 with no color correction at all, just some USM and only just a bit of that. These are some amazing cameras we are using, and my DS never lets me down when I use it. Lens was a A*200mm f/2.8 using spot metering because of the snow, which really caused underexposure with any other metering setting.

This one was never in trouble when I comes to being supper, he was only a cooperative model, unlike many others that flew away before I could get a good shot.

We had a snow storm today, so no shots, but tomorrow morning if the sun is out, I will try for some more.

Tom
Old Dec 5, 2006, 12:20 AM   #10

His Girlfreind!

Tom