Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 3, 2006, 3:34 AM   #1

Kids can be difficult subjects to shoot because they are always in motion. Shooting kids indoors under crappy lighting is just nuts. Today my family was invited to a friend's kid's birthday party at some commercial inflatable romper room type of place.
Let's just say that the lighting was something similar to a warehouse. Always trying to improve upon my portrait photography skills, I brought my trusty k100d and smc-f 50mm 1.7 lens and took up the challenge. All are shot were taken in RAW and without flash.

royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2006, 4:31 AM   #2

Hey Royce,

Did he actually say 'Daddy good shot.

This is a great shot at the right moment where a right fast prime excels

Daniel

royce10 wrote:
Quote:
Kids can be difficult subjects to shoot because they are always in motion. Shooting kids indoors under crappy lighting is just nuts. Today my family was invited to a friend's kid's birthday party at some commercial inflatable romper room type of place.
Let's just say that the lighting was something similar to a warehouse. Always trying to improve upon my portrait photography skills, I brought my trusty k100d and smc-f 50mm 1.7 lens and took up the challenge. All are shot were taken in RAW and without flash.

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 10:13 AM   #3

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Wow! You've captured the very essence of childhood...nice!!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 12:55 PM   #4

Thanks daniel. Yes I mainly use my 50mm 1.7 for indoor shots. I think I'm getting the hang of it. I think the next level is for me to be able to take the shots with manual focus. Sometimes if the lighting is really poor, my camera will have a difficult time finding the focus lock and will not let me shoot. This delays the shot and I end up missing that moment that I wanted to capture. Shooting in manual focus mode would be much faster, but currently my ability to capture the right depth of field is poor and I usually end up with out of focus pics. Have you used one of these magnifying eye cups?

"The Pentax O-ME53 Magnifying Eyecup works with all Pentax DSLR bodies and offers 1.2 times magnification over the entire image field. This is ideal for critical focusing (e.g. macro photography), and when using manual focus lenses. "

I know some of you guys use the split screen. Just wondering if this magnifying eye cup is useful for manual focus.

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
Hey Royce,

Did he actually say 'Daddy good shot.

This is a great shot at the right moment where a right fast prime excels

Daniel
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 10:01 PM   #5

Really awesome! You made such great use of the available lighting, shading and so on - not your "normal" family snaps. I've thought about the split screen but haven't bought one. I find it much easier to focus with the K10 (while I didn't notice much difference between the DS and the K100). My manual focusing skills improved when I bought a macro lens and spent time taking flower pictures - that extra sharpness helped me "see" the focus better, and that transferred over to other lenses. If in doubt I'll use the beep - it's usually close - and set a smaller aperture for more DOF in case it got it wrong.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote