Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 3, 2006, 1:40 PM   #1

Not much to shoot so near the polar circle just now. With overcast weather I've got about two hours at mid day, and the colour is grey with poor contrast.

But this is fun. It started a few weeks ago and is spreading like a bushfire over the entire country. People put dog puppets or sculptures in roundabouts. If one is removed, it doesn't take more than a couple of hours before there's a new one. No one has been caught in the act yet, and I don't think the police are breaking their backs to stop this criminal offence. Everyone but a few bureaucrats are smiling...

Kjell
Attached Images

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2006, 1:57 PM   #2

Wacky!:lol:
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 1:59 PM   #3

A bit less fun was the winter storm two years ago. 30 years of normal logging fell, and the forestry industry has been on overtime since the storm, to tidy up the forests and to take care of the trunks. This is the provisional stock of one saw-mill, with about 100 000 cubic metres of wood. It's not even big compared to some other ones, but I havent got my butt out to take a photo until today.

Kjell

1:st one, overview:
Attached Images

Old Dec 3, 2006, 2:00 PM   #4

2:nd one, close up of one single row.

Thanks for looking.
Attached Images

Old Dec 3, 2006, 2:17 PM   #5

Kjell - What kind of trees do they use in the lumber industry over there. In the Northwest logging is a big part of the economy. Of course we also have Boeing and Microsoft. Here in the Yakima area, Ponderosa Pine and Douglas fir are the dominant trees used in the lumber industry. On the coast you see more Red Ceder and Sitka Spruce. Our main logging plant shutdown this year after being in Yakima over a hundred years. It just couldn't compete anymore - Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 2:55 PM   #6

The two totally dominating are European sprouce and common pine. To compete with the Canadians and Brazil, the Swedish lumber industry are trying to develop high-tech specialized products. Quite successfully, actually. In spite of being a raw-material industry it's still one of the major contributors of export income to the country. A lot is used for construction, but also furniture and fine carpentry. And of course paper-pulp.

Kjell
Old Dec 3, 2006, 3:54 PM   #7

i like the 2nd shot.
i've got an uncle that was in Borneo for 8 eight years. his house and full wrap aroung porch was all framed in Teak!! yeah, TEAK. it's close to $25 a board foot here..

roy
Old Dec 3, 2006, 10:37 PM   #8

Incredible amount of wood! Pictures are nice, too, and I like your underground movement. Hope they never catch whoever is doing it - they are cute!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 7:02 AM   #9

What's so wrong with placing these sculptures in the roundabouts!!!! Except the safety aspect but, the roundabout seems large enough.

And what's the diff between that and the officially sanctioned Moose in Torontoyou can see the map here, Cars in Windsor and Detroit and, other major Cities.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 8:53 AM   #10

In the mind of a true bureaucrat, nothing is permitted if it's not compulsary! But! – nothing new have been created thanks to everyone doing as they're supposed!

Kjell