Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 4, 2006, 2:50 AM   #1

I've been trying to work in RAW format more. Here's a couple of shots from my salt water fish tank. K100d, smc-f 50mm 1.7, handheld, no flash. I love how sharp this 50mm lens is. Can't wait to get some extension tubes on this baby.

Sailfin Tang
Focal length=50mm, Tv=1/30, Av=F2.4, Iso=200

Florida Ricordea (coral)
Focal length=50mm, Tv=1/45, Av=F2.4, Iso=200

royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2006, 3:06 AM   #2

royce10 wrote:
Quote:
I've been trying to work in RAW format more. Here's a couple of shots from my salt water fish tank. K100d, smc-f 50mm 1.7, handheld, no flash. I love how sharp this 50mm lens is. Can't wait to get some extension tubes on this baby.

Sailfin Tang
Focal length=50mm, Tv=1/30, Av=F2.4, Iso=200

Florida Ricordea (coral)
Focal length=50mm, Tv=1/45, Av=F2.4, Iso=200

The color is just amazing for both pict. You still have some room to increase the DoF from F2.4 by jacking it up to iso800.

Ext tube may not work because of very very short distance required for 50mm. The subject has to be very close to the lens

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 4:16 AM   #3

these are nice looking photos
nice and clear and colourful
how did you light them?
just the overhead aquarium light?
how did you cut out the reflections from the glass?
whats the little furry looking thing in the second photo just right of centre on the bottom edge?

Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 5:43 AM   #4

nice shots royce.

gumnut, if you put the lens against the glass you get no reflection.

roy
Old Dec 4, 2006, 6:58 AM   #5

Wow! Those are spectacular!
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 8:16 AM   #6

Outstanding! Love the colors, so vibrant. Whether you want to go to ISO 800 and a bigger DOF or not in the second one is a matter of choice - I rather like it the way it is, but would love to see it with more DOF.

When you start adding extension tubes to the 50mm you'll not only have to be closer to your subject, it also seemed to me that the DOF was smaller. I tended to stop down almost all the way with flowers, otherwise I'd get a razor-thin DOF, too small for most flowers.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 9:59 AM   #7

So beautiful! When I had a salt water tank I always found "the other animals" more fascinating than the fish. I've got a big empty tank in the barn, waiting for me to extend the house. Your pictures push me...

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 12:15 PM   #8

Thanks! For lighting I only used my aquarium lights which are compact flourescent lights. For awhile I struggled to get the white balance correct. I would manual set it and still it was not perfect. I finally ended up shooting it in RAW and post processing it in pentax photo laboratory. I would set the white balance to override, daytime flourescent. That seemed the best to my eyes.

I turned off all the lights in the room to prevent any reflecting light off the glass. Also I don't use flash. Whenever I go to a zoo/aquarium and try to take a picture of a something in a fishtank, I never use the flash because it will just reflect off the glass. I also made sure I cleaned the glass with a magnet scraper to remove any algae before I shot.

The furry looking thing in the second photo on the right bottom is my brittle star. I call him Bob. He's grown quite large and each arm is about 10 cm long. He likes to hide underneath that particular rock and his arms stick out.

Gumnut wrote:
Quote:
these are nice looking photos
nice and clear and colourful
how did you light them?
just the overhead aquarium light?
how did you cut out the reflections from the glass?
whats the little furry looking thing in the second photo just right of centre on the bottom edge?
Old Dec 4, 2006, 1:22 PM   #9

I love salt water reef keeping. When I was a kid, I actually wanted to become a marine biologist. However, the sad fact is that I get terribly sea sick. So there went that idea. Lol. Anyways, I started my 40 gallon reef tank a little over a year ago. I too enjoy all "the other animals." I have quite a collection of invertebrates and other interesting critters in my reef tank. Here's a few more pics. The rest are on my flickr page.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/royce10...7594127489727/

Torch coral

Cleaner shrimp

Bubble coral

Sand sifting sea star (say that 5 times fast!)

Long spined sea urchin

Banded trochus snail

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
So beautiful! When I had a salt water tank I always found "the other animals" more fascinating than the fish. I've got a big empty tank in the barn, waiting for me to extend the house. Your pictures push me...

Kjell
Old Dec 4, 2006, 2:54 PM   #10

Love these pics. The vibrant colours and the actual specimens themselves. Looks like you have really nailed the aquarium picture-taking!

On the subject of flash, I found that with the Sigma flashgun angled up, and a sto-fen diffuser I do not get any reflections through the glass (maybe just lucky!)

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote