Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 4, 2006, 7:02 AM   #1
dlw

Thanks to all who have so kindly helped me in deciding on the K10D, however, I'm still having a tussle deciding on which long range lens to get. I was sold on the Tamron 70-300 LD DI but see too many conflicting review about QI at 300mm. Can anyone provide some hands on experience regarding lenses in this range? My budget is maxed out at about $400.00, but being a barn photographer, I need to have at least 300mm available (and would really like 400mm). I could push the budget a bit for something noticably sharper, as I do most of my shots from roadside due to not being able to determine owners of barns to get permission. Thanks for any help possible!
dlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2006, 7:43 AM   #2

dlw wrote:
Quote:
Thanks to all who have so kindly helped me in deciding on the K10D, however, I'm still having a tussle deciding on which long range lens to get. I was sold on the Tamron 70-300 LD DI but see too many conflicting review about QI at 300mm. Can anyone provide some hands on experience regarding lenses in this range? My budget is maxed out at about $400.00, but being a barn photographer, I need to have at least 300mm available (and would really like 400mm). I could push the budget a bit for something noticably sharper, as I do most of my shots from roadside due to not being able to determine owners of barns to get permission. Thanks for any help possible!
I always prefer prime lens and if you are ok with manual lens, go for some of the K or M 300mm F4 available at KEH at around $199- $399 depending on conditions. Their bargain rating is entirely useable .
If you are ok with ebay, there are from time to time 300mm manual prime available .
Judging from what you need, you may not be happy with any consumer zoom. Sometimes too good to be true : zoom 18mm-300mm .
In real world, performance of the long end at 300mm is compromised. Nonetheless, if you prefer new lens , that is the only thing available for that range .
There will be a new DA*60-250mmF/4 (*=prof grade lens) in spring time. But the price is likely in $1,000-1500 range.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 8:24 AM   #3

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
There will be a new DA*60-250mmF/4 (*=prof grade lens) in spring time. But the price is likely in $1,000-1500 range.

Daniel
it better not be!!!

dlw, there are 300s, 400s, and a 500mm on ebay right now. any of the 300mm pentax lenses will be good. even the screw mounts. the 500mm pentax is one of the best deals i've seen. ck here about 400mm because there are a few models that are [email protected]&..
ck out royce's pix with the sigma here.
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

and here. he seems to be getting excellent images at 300mm.

roy
and one of mine with the non DI sigma
Attached Images

Old Dec 4, 2006, 12:22 PM   #4

Roy,

The projected price of DA*60-250mm with USM & * rating elements is likely over $1,000.
By how much I do not know.
Most of the consumer zoom is ok with over F8 . And I saw some of the impressive pict of Royce. Mostly are F8 which is smart move to crank as much resolution as possible from the zoom.
But those M 300mm F4 are confirmed to be decent performer even wide open at F4. And they are full frame lens which means that there is no CA at all with the crop factor. Basically a lot safer bet than lower end Sigma.

Daniel

robar wrote:
Quote:
danielchtong wrote:
Quote:

Daniel
it better not be!!!

dlw, there are 300s, 400s, and a 500mm on ebay right now. any of the 300mm pentax lenses will be good. even the screw mounts. the 500mm pentax is one of the best deals i've seen. ck here about 400mm because there are a few models that are [email protected]&..
ck out royce's pix with the sigma here.

and here. he seems to be getting excellent images at 300mm.

roy
and one of mine with the non DI sigma
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 3:24 PM   #5

I know your dilemma. However, after lots of research also, I have decided to give the Tamron 70-300 a try, and got a good deal at Sigmaforless, about $170 shipped.

I will let you know how it performs.
nznhut is offline   Reply With Quote