Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 5, 2006, 12:32 AM   #11

The different viewpoints are really interesting. I guess that's why all the options are there. I appreciate the thorough explanations of the focus assist features that work with manual lenses. I had read about the beep before, but didn't realize there were also visual aids.

As several have said, I suppose Ishould get some experience with the camera and find out what works for me (and what I need) before buying anything else.

That's not near as much fun though.

dave_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 8:17 AM   #12

Dave,

Since you're in US, it makes sense to pickup a new FA50/1.4 if you can find one in stock. It is actually not that expesive compared to old M or A 50 1.7 or 1.4. With current rebate, you should be getting a new FA50/1.4 for around $160. Last time I checked, an A 50 1.7 or 1.4 goes for around $150 or more on eBay. So it does not save you much money.

The cheaper oneson eBay are all 50 F/2.0which is inferior to 50 1.7 or 1.4.
Foxbat121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 4:13 PM   #13

Foxbat1,

Actually the M 50mm 1.7 seems to be going for $30 - $40 on e-Bay now. The A 50 mm 1.7 about double that. The M 50mm 1.4 goes considerably higher - $70 - $100+. The A 50 mm 1.4 around $125. When you consider the rebate,autofocus 50mm's seem to be going for retail or higher. Of course it's very hard to find them retail, but it's still surprising people will pay that much.

Based on mtngal's 1.4/1.7 post, the M 50mm 1.7 seems to be quite a bargain. Almost in to the "I can't afford not to buy it" range.
dave_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 6:10 PM   #14

I have the M 50mm f1.7 from my ME Super, K1000 days. It is a super sharp lens of exceptional build quality but it can be difficult to focus accurately if you try to use it wide open. I have a split image screen in my DL which helps considerably. I am hoping to get a well cared for DS soon and it will probably get the split image screen since the better contrast of the DS pentaprism finder should make this almost as easy to focus as my ME Super was.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 12:21 PM   #15
TDN

I paid 35$ for my SMC-A, and wouldnt sell it for a 100$ now

Those Pentax 50mm's are some of the best glass out there, you can't really go wrong with any of them.

Depending on your budget, either go for an older manual focus version, which can be had for under 50$, or one of the AF versions, which go for about 100$ more expensive, but will provide you with the ease of AF & the newest chip in there for the EXIF info.

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 1:13 PM   #16

I really don't buy much on ebay, but when I do, I find what I want and put a high bid on it. I ended up paying $58 for my M50-f1.7. but it was a high serial number in almost new condition. I felt that was still a good deal for a nice prime lens like that. I actually sold my four M42 screw mounts and bought three M lenses and came out ahead on the deal, so was happy. I do agree what has been said here. If you want a 50mm AF lens, I would try to find or wait until someone has the FA50-f1.4 in stock with the rebate. Of course after Jan 7th, we'll have to see if Pentax continues to offer a rebate on it. At $160, its a bargin for a new prime lens.

Ira - do you think the Kats Eye is interchangable from one camera to the next or do they each take a different one between the DL. DS, K100 and K10. One thing I have found is that the plasticfocusing screen is prone to static and if you take it out to clean it, slush it in some warm dish soap and water to remove the static, then blow dry, don't wipe or it will get more static - Bruce

Here is a link to the Katz Eye page and it looks like they have different screens for all the models - http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/cat--Pe...at_pentax.html

bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 3:06 PM   #17

"In still photography, a normal lens is a lens whose focal length is roughly equivalent to the diagonal of the image projected within the camera. This roughly approximates the perspective perceived by the human vision....

For a 35 mm camera with a diagonal of 43 mm, the most commonly used normal lens is 50 mm, but focal lengths between about 40 and 58 mm are also considered normal.

The 50 mm focal length was chosen by Oscar Barnack, the creator of the Leica camera, as a compromise between the theoretical value and good sharpness, as lens technology at the time was such that slightly longer focal lengths were able to achieve optimum sharpness.
"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_lens

50mm is a "Normal" lens for a 35mm camera. "Normal" for a APS-C sensor is around 35mm. So why the fascination with 50mm lenses? Somewhere between 28 and 35mm would be a good walk-around prime lens on a dSLR.
bill.guenthner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 3:24 PM   #18
TDN

bill.guenthner wrote:
Quote:
Why the fascination with 50mm lenses?
Can't really explain until you've used one. It's not about the FOV that these lenses provide, they are just so unbelievably sharp and sturdy for the price. Without a doubt the best bang for your buck out there if you have a Pentax DSLR...imo at least...

Sure I'd love a limited 31mm or 43mm, but unless I win the lottery, the 50mm will do:lol:
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 3:54 PM   #19

I agree with Tom, the Pentax 50mm manual lenses are generally considered some of the best made.

I've just purchased a 35mm A lens but I haven't had a chance to use it yet! It'll be interesting to see how it performs against the 50's. I bought it to use as a "normal" lens with the DS however I'm impressed with the FOV and DOF may be a good lens to try out with the old film camera?

Steve
Stev1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 5:13 PM   #20

If anyone is interested

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SMC-PENTAX-M-5...QQcmdZViewItem

or here
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PENTAX-50mm-F1...QQcmdZViewItem

or if you have money to burn!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pentax-SMC-M-5...QQcmdZViewItem

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote