Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 5, 2006, 12:24 AM   #1

I found these photos on my FZ30 that were taken with my long gone k100d. I guess I'd forgotten about them, and when downloading some FZ photos, found these. I'm still waiting for the k10d...patiently.....cheers.....Don.
Attached Images

thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2006, 12:25 AM   #2

Old Dec 5, 2006, 12:26 AM   #3

Attached Images

Old Dec 5, 2006, 12:53 AM   #4

Those are great shots, why did you get rid of the K100D when it takes photo like these?

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 1:58 AM   #5

Hi Tom. Well it wasn't because of IQ. Mainly performance. I shoot RAW, and the buffer was too slow. I was missing a lot of shots because of the buffering. I found this very annoying at times. I also like the weather sealing in the new body. It rains here a lot, and I'm not averse to being out in it to shoot photos. The k100's IQ was over the top as far as I'm concerned. Excellent is all I can say about it. The high ISO IQ was very good. I really don't know how the k10 will fare at 1600 until I can try it myself. I've seen lots of the noise samples others have posted on that other website, and to be honest, I don't think they're worth looking at. Most are not exposed properly, and one test shot I saw was taken at ISO 1600 using a flash. Lol. Now there's a brain surgeon at work. I guess mainly it is just performance. If Pentax had put a body out with the k10's features at 6 mp's, I would have been happier than a pig in s__t. But that's not likely to happen, so the k10d it is. Just waiting patiently for it to arrive......cheers....Don.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 9:17 AM   #6

Don,

I was just wondering since the K100 does such a nice job in such a small package. I am keeping my DS, because I want the TTL flash feature and I too does a very nice job taking photos, even with jpg, which I use almost all the time.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 9:48 AM   #7

Hi Tom.

I've been using RAW for quite some time now. I find a lot of advantages when processing with RAW. Especially for exposure. I'm going to give the k10d a good run at jpg when it arrives, but I find a lot of pictures I take are with blown skies for background mainly because it is so often cloudy and gray here. Blue skies would make for easier metering, but we don't get those a lot. I find RAW easier to control in this respect as I often push the ev setting to +1 or higher to get the bird's detail, thus blowing out a gray white background. I might add that if I didn't have the FA300 to use, this type of overexposure wouldn't work. CA's would be visible in a lesser lens. I've tried it with the 50-200DA, and it breaks down in the CA dept.....cheers......Don
Old Dec 5, 2006, 10:43 AM   #8

thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
I found these photos on my FZ30 that were taken with my long gone k100d. I guess I'd forgotten about them, and when downloading some FZ photos, found these. I'm still waiting for the k10d...patiently.....cheers.....Don.
With photos of stellar quality like that and you are still unhappy with the body? You are more demanding than myself.
Keep posting particularly after you have got the K10D.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 11:24 AM   #9

yeah don,
i think i'd have gotten a new cam also. lol

roy
i also think you should get rid of that nasty lens. PM for a shipping address..
Old Dec 5, 2006, 1:27 PM   #10

Hi Daniel. As I pointed out earlier, the IQ of the k100d is excellent. I just want better shooting performance than it can offer in RAW. That's pretty well it. Like I said, I wish the k100 was faster-well the k10 is. I had the chance to attach my 300 to the k10d this past w'end, and was very impressed with it's performance. Faster AF, and no waiting for the buffer to clear. Plus living in Vancouver, it'll be nice to have a weather sealed body. I just wish mine was........cheers...Don.

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
With photos of stellar quality like that and you are still unhappy with the body? You are more demanding than myself.
Keep posting particularly after you have got the K10D.

Daniel