Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 6, 2006, 12:47 PM   #1

Hi all

I am trying out the k100d in stores and find (as has been reported) the auto white balance is garbage. How do I need to adjust the white balance for images taken indoors (flourescent lights) to get rid of the yellow cast? Can it store that setting or would I have to reset everytime taking indoor shots?

Thanks

Peggy
pmanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2006, 1:30 PM   #2

There are 2 ways to correct this issue. 1) Before eaching photo session you can manually set the white balance by selecting that function and shooting a white piece of paper or a "gray card." This is the easiest and quickest.

2) Or you can set your camera format to RAW and then adjust it with with the Pentax Photo Laboratory program. I find this process to yield the best color/picture quality.
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 1:35 PM   #3

I got my istDL in a trade deal and it did not come with the software... is there somewhere I can download Pentax Photo Lab? Preferably free.
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 5:42 PM   #4

If you use the custom white balance adjustment, the camera will retain that setting under the custom menu option until you change it. It doesn't automatically lose whatever you set when you turn the camera off.

Just my opinion but I prefer to change the white balance in camera, rather than try to get what I want through post processing. Maybe I just don't have enough experience, but I usually get frustrated if I can't quite get it right. Setting the custom white balance only takes a second or two.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 5:55 PM   #5

White balance is OK outdoors. Indoors is an issue.

Make certain that the camera is in natural color mode; bright color mode (the default, gack!) plus auto white balance indoors can produce a *lot* of yellow. There's a menu setting to set natural color mode, and remember that all of the specific scene modes always use bright color. Which is part of why I don't use scene modes.

The camera also tends to oversaturate colors by default---a lot of people use the custom menu to reduce saturation a notch or two.

This plus custom white balance as needed will pretty much fix the yellow tone even if you don't shoot in RAW.

BrettTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 6:11 PM   #6

http://www.pentax.co.jp/english/supp...d_digital.html

pentax firmware and image software is here
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 7:29 PM   #7

mtngal - do you set the custom white balance by shooting a white card or is there another way to do it? I went to store at lunch and played around with the different settings and tried shooting a white piece of paper as a white card, but results were only so-so.

Thanks

Peggy
pmanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 8:07 PM   #8

pmanza wrote:
Quote:
Hi all

I am trying out the k100d in stores and find (as has been reported) the auto white balance is garbage. How do I need to adjust the white balance for images taken indoors (flourescent lights) to get rid of the yellow cast? Can it store that setting or would I have to reset everytime taking indoor shots?

Thanks

Peggy
The K100d is the only Dslr I have used extensively but, as I understand it, indoor no flash photography is a challenge to the white balance of any camera. The only comparison I can offer is that of a much more advanced photography friend who uses a Nikon D2X. He feels the white balance of my K100d is superior to that of his own camera and has voiced that he would pick up a Pentax as a second body if he was not so heavily invested in Nikon lenses.

For myself, I have had some indoor no flash shots come out with a yellow cast. They were taken without adjusting white balance at all. I found it easy to adjust the color balance after the fact, even though they were taken as jpegs. The easiest answer for any Dslr is to shoot RAW and adjust afterwards (but personally 95% of the time I am shooting jpeg). Good luck with your decision,

Tim

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 10:20 PM   #9

To set the white balance on the K100D, you can use either a white or a grey card. Press the Fn button, select WB and then use the manual setting (bottom one). You'll get another screen that tells you to point at your source and shoot. You'll see a preview, press OK. I'd like to try using a grey card because its I've noticed that the camera sometimes interprets white more as grey (can be corrected by overexposing a bit), depending on light conditions. There's lots of definitions of "white" while a grey card is a fixed standard.

I've used white paper, a white car, a sock, a sign in a mall, white plastic on a baby's highchair and white feathers on the dress of a Christmas decoration. Not all things that are white to our eyes are white to the camera, so if you don't have a "calibrated" white card, it might take a couple of tries to get an accurate setting (the feathers had too much yellow in them, but the mall sign worked perfectly).

The interesting thing I found is that while the owners manual for the K100D says you can use a greycard (or a white one), the K10D does not mention it as an option (just a white piece of paper). Has anyone tried to use a grey card with the K10?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 12:46 AM   #10

Here's a program that will let you view and white balance pentax RAW files.

http://picasa.google.com/index.html

Under the "Tuning" tab you can adjust the slider for color temperature and it will adjust the white balance.

I've tried using the Pentax Photo Laboratory and I don't find it efficient for my work flow. I like to download all my pics and view them full screen as a slideshow and mark the ones that I like. I then white balance them and export them as a jpg. I then individually post process them in photoshop. This program is free too.

inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:
I got my istDL in a trade deal and it did not come with the software... is there somewhere I can download Pentax Photo Lab? Preferably free.
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote