Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 3, 2008, 8:01 AM   #41

2many wrote:
Quote:
Ok, I think its time to resurrect this thread. I know in the last year or so you all have updated your equipment whether it be new lenses or new camera's. So there has to be new bags out there, below is my current bag. I am in need of a new one as the handles are wearing out on this one. I was looking at the Pentax Sling bag, as I only carry two additional lenses and a few accessories. Any ideas?
why not stay with the ''tried and true''.. how you ever found this old threat is beyond me. where are all these posters now?? i know nick isn't even shooting pentax anymore.. i've got 3 bags but use the lowepro ex-160 mostly.. this bag will also fit inside a regular backpack if i need a little extra room..
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2008, 8:22 AM   #42

My Jacket pockets and a Neckstrap do for me!

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2008, 8:51 AM   #43

What can I say? My wife likes shoes, I like camera bags! She has a lot more shoes.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2008, 11:47 AM   #44

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
What can I say? My wife likes shoes, I like camera bags! She has a lot more shoes.
Ira
Unlike your wife. My Wife is the Queen Of pocketbooks. I call her the Almelda Marcos of Pocket Books. She has Two shelves worth in our Closet

Me, I have 3 camera bags!!

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2008, 11:55 AM   #45

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
My Jacket pockets and a Neckstrap do for me!

Dawg
If I have to wear a Jacket, its too cold to go outside.
2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2008, 2:48 PM   #46

Hi All,

Under another topic, I mentioned that I use inexpensive tool bags to carry my stuff.

I've got quite a few, but this is the one I tend to use the most. It's an off-brand that I bought for @ $8 USD. It's about 12wx9hx8d in inches, closed.

This is what it looks like chock full:

Here's a look inside (in "kitchen sink" mode :-))

As you can see, it can carry a lot -- here we have the body, and lenses to cover every FL from 10mm FE to 300mm, and then a jump to 510mm if I really need the reach. The AF 540 FGZ is under the 50-135 on the body. I usually don't carry this much stuff -- as loaded, it's about 12 lbs.

It's only padded on the bottom, and the using the separate neoprene lens bags is not really fast, but the lenses are pretty well protected. I always take my time changing lenses (usually sitting down to do it), so it's not really a handicap for me.

The "stealth" aspect (as Ira put it) is important, because I really don't want someone looking into my car and seeing a bag that shouts "Expensive Camera Equipment" sitting on the passenger seat. I always have a cheap jacket in the car, and will casually drape it partially over the bag if I've got to leave it for any length of time.

I also carry a cheap styrofoam cooler that the bag will fit into in the trunk. If it's really cold or hot out, and I need to leave the camera in the car for any length of time, I just drop it into the cooler, and the camera and lenses hardly change temp, even after a few hours.

I don't necessarily recommend this type of bag, but it works for me, and I think it's good to show Out-of-the-Box methods

-- Well maybe not quite as OOTB as 2many's. . .:-) that was really good. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2008, 4:41 PM   #47

Scott,

Your OTB bag, is interesting, That could be something I am looking for. My question to you is where did you get the lens pouches?

Terry
Old Mar 3, 2008, 6:36 PM   #48

2many wrote:
Quote:
Scott,

Your OTB bag,* is interesting, That could be something I am looking for.* My question to you is where did you get the lens pouches?
Hi Terry,

The lens pouches are made by Phoenix -- it's the same company that markets Phoenix lenses. I haven't been able to find them online, but a local dealer stocks them, so that's where I got them. They used to have a site where I did see something about them, but I can't find it now. . . You might ask a local dealer that stocks Phoenix lenses if they can order them. My lenses like 'em.

The only lenses I have that won't fit into one of the 3 sizes are the f2.8 WA zooms with 77mm objectives (too large a diameter), the Tam 300/2.8 (not even close!), and the MF Tokina 100-300/4 and 150-500/5.6 (both too long), but none of these are even close to normal-sized lenses.

Small is good up to the Tamron 28-75 f2.8, medium fits up to the FA* 300/4.5, and the large is a little tight, but it works for sizes up to the Tokina 80-200 f2.8 AFII. My dealer has them priced at from $8.95 to $14.95, but they are the most protective lens bags I've seen for reasonable money. they also have a large nylon web belt loop and a sturdy platic clip, so I can attach them to a heavy duty web belt if I want to carry some lenses while walking around without having to carry a bag.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2008, 8:08 PM   #49

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
The "stealth" aspect (as Ira put it) is important, because I really don't want someone looking into my car and seeing a bag that shouts "Expensive Camera Equipment" sitting on the passenger seat. I always have a cheap jacket in the car, and will casually drape it partially over the bag if I've got to leave it for any length of time.

Scott
For stealth bags apparently diaper bags are favoured. Let's face it, who is going to steal a diaper bag. Insulated lunch bags are also good but someone might think you have beer and steal it however using the insulated bag for shock protection inside a cheap schoolbag type backpack would probably work. The best rule of course is to not use any camera bag with Pentax, Canon, Nikon, Olympus or even Minolta printed across it in bright letters, that is like saying "steal me".

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 11:57 AM   #50

Thanks everyone for your input, I think by taking what I can use I have come up with a solution.

I already had a small/medium sized National Geo bag someone gave me, measured it out, and the two lenses will fit in the bottom, then with a heavy carboad divider covered by foam, the K10D along with the 70-300mm and TC will fit in the top. I did have to order 2 lens cases, would have preferred pouches, but my small lenses are wide, 72 and 77mm so ordered two of the Tamrac MAS cases.

I will post a picture when its all done.