Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 7, 2006, 7:11 PM   #1

Hi all

I am (was) just about ready to pull the trigger on a k100d when I saw over at dpreview forums a lot of people complaining about problems with their pentaxs. Mainly front focus issues (esp with k10d), and pop up flash burning out. One person is on his 3 rd k100d in 4 months. What do you all think? Anyone having problems? My hubby says this is the last camera so I have to make a good choice.

Help!

Peggy
pmanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2006, 7:38 PM   #2

I still have my original KX Pentax from the mid seventies.

It has done nothing to contradict pentax's reputation fro rugged reliabilty that was a factor in my decisioin to buy it then.

My *istDs has performed faultlessly since I purchased it in the middle of 2005. I have used it mainly shooting motorsport so it has shot lots of images and travelled many kilometres.

From my background in telecommunications it is expected that the highest failure rate of equipment is during the "burn in period," when it is new. Tha is why a warranty and local dealers are important.

philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 7:59 PM   #3

Hi,

In all the brands out there, Pentax has the fewest problems of any. I just switched from Canon. I never had any problems with my Canon.

But what you are reading about is the whiners and people that want sympathy from others. The ones that are complaining about front focusing, they go looking for any excuse to either exchange their cameras or just so they have something to talk about to others. This goes for the people that spend all of their time being PIXEL PEEPER or MEASUREBATORS. They spend most of their time looking at test pictures and pictures that a cropped to 200% to find something wrong.

The problem with front focusing or back focusing cameras is they usually come in batches from the company. So if you hear of a person returning a camera because of this problem two or more times is that they are getting cameras from the same batch.

Go for the pentax. If it feels comfortable when you hold it. You like where of the controls are located. And it fits into your budget...

DON't tell your husband that there is a small little disease that you get after you get a DSLR. It is LBA (Lens Buying Addiction). But it can be controlled....:G

Good Luck with whatever camera you finally get and most of all ENJOY IT!!!

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 12:22 AM   #4

Let's see - last January I bought a DS and loved it. Then in August I decided that I really wanted a long tele, which I knew I couldn't handle without SR, so I bought a K100D. A week ago my hubby gave me my Christmas gift, a K10D. I felt so badly about him buying me another camera, that I sold the DS and now I'm thinking that I should have hung onto it because it's lighter than the K100. The point of all this is that I would NEVER have bought a second or third camera if I had found problems with any of them (oh yeah, my Pentax ME, purchased new in 1980, developed film advance problems in 2001 and was retired - a pretty good record).

There's always going to be a problem with a few when it comes to electronics (had a monitor go bad within the first week). So far I haven't had any problems, though I've only taken 130 pictures with the K10, so I can't say for sure that its going to be as problem-free as the other Pentax cameras I own.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 5:23 AM   #5
TDN

Camera equipment needs to be handled with care at all times, regardless of what brand it is.

If you treat your camera with respect and care, it will last a long while.

Someone who needs 3 cameras in 4 months is doing something VERY wrong with them.

Also, you get a 2 year warranty with your camera (at least in Belgium we do...), so things like focus issues and flash burnout shouldn't be a problem.

I haven't had any problems with my DL in terms of durability. In fact, it still looks new.

Except a little dust on the sensor once in a while, but that's a problem all DSLR users have to face some day...
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 6:20 AM   #6

Check out the various DSLR forums at this site and note how many threads deal with problems, especially recurring problems. I think you will find that all of these cameras are quite reliable with Pentax scoring quite well in this regard.Any device with this level of complexity has the potential for problems but no particular issue has arisen for the current Pentax models (K10D is new I cannot make a comment here).

Pentax does have a 2 year warranty in most markets compared to 1 year for most of the others. Nikon, Canon and Olympus also build reliable products, and hopefully Sony as well so to answer your question, buy the models you feel comfortable with after your research regardless of brand.

You make a choice and hope for the best.

Ira

BTW I have owned Pentax film cameras for nearly 30 years and have had only one failure, my 25 year old K1000 finally bit the dust after loyal service. I don't think we can expect a DSLR to top that since digital technology changes so fast that the camera may last but there may be no way to interface it with the existing technology that far into the future.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 11:48 AM   #7

In retail, if the same person is constantly complaining about a product, we eventually decide that it's not the product, it's the customer. We've all had a problem with something we've bought, but usually the store, the manufacturer or a combination of both rectifies the issue.

I've had Pentaxes since 1968. With 6 bodies and10 lenses, I've had all of 2 malfunctions. Once an FA lens power zoom didn't work right and Pentax fixed it under warrantee. Another time I had a lens that didn't communicate properly which the vender addressed.

The SP, KX and MX were built rugged and still work well within tolerance. I'm not as sure of the D as I've only had it for 2 years. (Hmm, I sound like the person who, when asked about a system I designed and implemented for her company 7 years previously, responded that she hadn't had a problem YET.)

Larry in Dallas
Heathglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 12:10 PM   #8

thanks everybody for your replies. They make me feel much more comfortable. I think the competitor site has a lot more complainers (measurebators?) than Steve's does. Maybe I will just stay away from there!

After I looked on Pentax website and discovered that the K10 has unlimited burst mode, my hubby is thinking he might stretch our budget to get that one. BUT... it only goes to 1600 iso instead of 3200 for the k100. Would this be a deal breaker for anyone?

Mtngal, you must have a pretty special hubby, getting you a k10 so soon after getting the k100. Mine says this is my last camera, at which point I had to remind him that electronics tend to wear out faster than the old style film (mechanical) cameras! But he is still being really sweet about this so I can't complain.

Rudy - I think my hubby figured out the LBA without me even having to mention it, last night he said "you're going to want more lenses" and I said "look at it this way, you will know what to get me for Christmas for many years to come".

Thanks again everyone, am going to camera shop tonight to try K10 vs K100 before deciding.

Peggy
pmanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 1:42 PM   #9

It is known that Pentax has the handle on 3200 iso over others but it should be used only in extreme situations that do not allow flash and is usuable for the most part but don't let the 1600 iso limit you in your purchase of the K10D.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Get the K100D instead if 3200 iso is a must for you. This is a great camera.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 2:34 PM   #10

Just my opinion and type of photography but I never used 3200, so the K10D "only" going to 1600 doesn't bother me in the least. I find the noise level at 1600 on the K10 is greater than the noise level on the K100, butless than the K100's 3200.I don't do all that much low-light action, so rarely use ISOs greater than 800.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote