Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:44 PM   #1

Today's lunch time found me wandering around a parking structure and finding all sorts of silly things. These aren't serious at all, but thought they were just for fun. Photography should be about having fun, especially for those of us who have it for a hobby.

I had forgotten to change the WB - it was set for tungsten. I thought this was pretty neat (can you tell I like the color blue?).
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:45 PM   #2

Is this how you take a macro of a snowman?
Attached Images

Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:49 PM   #3

This fellow had been hanging around for a while before I decided to take his picture. I never did figure out what caught his attention, unless it was something on the nearby freeway. I took a couple of back-lit pictures before he slowly left, and just before he disappeared behind a building, he turned so the light was on him. I probably should have used a faster shutter speed, but I rather like the feeling of motion.
Attached Images

Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:52 PM   #4

This one isn't as strong a picture, but I can't resist putting it up, since my theme today was silliness. Somehow a balloon tied to a dumpster just seemed really odd.
Attached Images

Old Dec 8, 2006, 12:02 AM   #5

I see you had a good day. The blue - what are they? is not silly, it's beatiful. The snowman is hilarious! Thanks for giving me a good start of my day, yesterday was on of those "day-please-go-away!"-days at work and I'm just about to leave for a new one. Now it feels a little easier.:-)

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 2:34 AM   #6

Ok, if that is what silly means i'm affraid of the pictures you otherwise would take.

especially being afraid of being jealous in the nth degree.

Love the first one, enjoyed the second one, the shutterspeed in the third one is perfect (this looks like a helicopter in flight, without the movement of the rotors it wouldn't look real), the 4th i don't know.

Great shots mtngal,

Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 5:53 AM   #7
TDN

i like the 1st one, only a little more dof would have been nice here, so that all 3 bolts were sharp & the background blurred.

and btw, you're absolutely right, photography should be all about fun
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 9:25 AM   #8

Let's see, the first one is a little silly, the second is very silly, the third really isn't silly but the last one is very silly. Overall I would give a silliness score of about 80% that helicopter really isn't silly enough.

The white balance issue with the first picture created a wonderful atmosphere.

The snowman macro is delightfully silly, have you tried cropping tighter to get rid of some of the background distraction (it may make it even sillier)?

The helicopter is very sharp, great job (but not silly).

The last image has enough incongruity to make it interesting and silly.

great work Harriet.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 10:28 AM   #9

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Let's see, the first one is a little silly, the second is very silly, the third really isn't silly but the last one is very silly. Overall I would give a silliness score of about 80% that helicopter really isn't silly enough.
Is this the new Monty Python thread?:whack:

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 12:33 PM   #10

The first one is an FDC (fire department connection, 4" waterline) valves for the parking structure I was standing on. At the time I was just playing around and wanted the back valve slightly out of focus. Looking at it on the monitor, I think it would have been better if I had done it with more DOF. By the way, all of thesewere handheld with the A*300, and most (not the helecopter, maybe not the snowman)with theSR focal length set to 50mm.

I originally was going to crop more on the snowman, but would have had to either clone out the part of the traffic light that was blocking the "camera" or crop a bit of the camera (which I've been trying to capture in an interesting way off and on for the past year). Last night as I was laughing at this series of photos, I figured that it would fit the silliness theme more if I kept the snowman and camera in context with their distractingsurroundings (I am shooting this from a parking structure, and the view is across rooftops, alley and street. The field of view is quite small and it's impossible to avoid everything). Today I'm not sure that was the best idea - may try either re-shooting this from ground level and/or recrop tonight.

Can I get a few extra points for the helecopter? As far as I could tell nothing was going on around there to attract one of the major network's helecopter (our channel 7 is the local ABC affiliate).