Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 9, 2006, 9:55 AM   #1

after seeing great photos from Kiron and Lester Dine lenses I said to myself: I want that one. So I just bought a Vivitar series 1 105mm Macro which is basically the same lens. I know I paid way too much than I should but it's my own Christmas present for myself .
Besides I'm trying to control my LBA that's why I'm gonna sell my Sigma 50mm Macro. I already sold extension tubes and a close up lens which together paid for half of Vivitar.
What amazed me was how much I got for this close up lens. it was nikon 6T and it went for 56 GBP which is around 100$. that's awful lot of money for a magnifying glass . I hope combined amount for tubes close up lens and sigma will fetch enough to cover 75% of Vivitar price.

when I get it I'll post some photos.

greg
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2006, 10:00 AM   #2

congrats greg!!
i don't think you'll be diappointed with the vivitar. it's an excellent lens. it's at least as good as the modern lenses for 1/2 the price.. and AF doing macros is defeatest..

roy
Old Dec 9, 2006, 10:14 AM   #3
TDN

I recently got the Kiron version, and I love it. Haven't had the time or oppurtunity to test it enough yet, but what I have done with it went perfectly.
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 5:05 PM   #4

Hi Greg,

"What amazed me was how much I got for this close up lens. it was nikon 6T and it went for 56 GBP which is around 100$. that's awful lot of money for a magnifying glass"

It's actually not surprising. My understanding is that the N 6T (as well as the other Nikon achromatic closeups) have been discontinued, and are selling for well over their original prices. . . kinda like the best of the old Pentax lenses. It's an very good piece . . . Of course it's no substitute for a dedicated macro lens, but I'm keeping mine for the versatility it allows in some situations . . . :-)

For anyone curious as to what an achromatic closeup lens is, it screws onto a regular lens like a filter, but gives added magnification and close focusing ability to the lens using multiple lens elements to give much better edge to edge sharpness than the cheaper single element closeup add-ons. They are invaluable for fixed lens cameras, but also useful with DSLRs.

By the way, congrats on the Viv S1 Macro!

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 7:38 PM   #5

gfurm
do you want a manual?? i just did a pdf for another member.. i didn't even know i had it until i checked the box. 5 pages and about 7megs. guess i could have made it smaller..

roy
Old Dec 9, 2006, 7:56 PM   #6
TDN

robar wrote:
Quote:
gfurm
do you want a manual?? i just did a pdf for another member.. i didn't even know i had it until i checked the box. 5 pages and about 7megs. guess i could have made it smaller..

roy
A manual? for the lens? What extra info does it give besides technical details?

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 8:02 PM   #7

to tell the truth, i didn't read it. i'm uploading it now so i can provide a link.

roy
Old Dec 9, 2006, 8:11 PM   #8

just under 7megs

HERE
Old Dec 10, 2006, 3:23 AM   #9

thanks Roy. I've actually seen those manuals on ebay selling for around 10$.

as for the price of this close up: I knew it would fetch around 100$, I decided to sell it after checking on ebay how much they go for. I found two of them in last month, one went for 120$ other for 100$. that's why I decided to sell mine, to pay for Vivitar. I remember buying it from BH for around 60$ three years ago. I've seen great results with this lens coupled with Panasonic FZ 10 but I couldn't get there.

greg
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2006, 8:43 AM   #10

that's what happened to my smc-M100 f4 that i had for close to 30 years. i miss it's size but the 105 sure is nice.

roy