Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 9, 2006, 11:03 AM   #1

Hey guys I need some help. I guess I got something on my 18-55 kit lens that got sticky and is now causing it to bind up so bad the camera's autofocus motor won't turn it. I called a camera store that told me the lens by itself is $80 and sending it in for repairs is a minimum charge of $100. Has anyone here ever had this kind of problem and is there a way to lubricate the lens? I'll go buy one if I have to, but I'd rather fix the one I've got. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks
jhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2006, 2:16 PM   #2

Hi,

One option is buy the new lens and then you can try and CLEAN your old one. This way if you screw it up you will still have a lens to replace.

From the sound of what you described you need to CLEAN it NOT LUBE it. Maybe Roy or one of the other can tell you how to take it apart and put it back together.

Good Luck,

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 3:33 PM   #3

my attempts at dismantling result in 2 basket cases. cost me about $10 but........
these newer lenses have electronics in them also. how on earth did you get junk in it???

roy
Old Dec 9, 2006, 4:06 PM   #4

Doesthe focus ringturn easily when you use manual focus or is it difficult to adjust? Try turning the focus ring several times to perhaps loosen it. Do your other auto focus lens work OK?
snoopy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 8:57 PM   #5

This lens gets heavy use, I've shot in excess of 21,000 photos with My DL since I bought it in May, most with either this lens or my Pro-master 70-300. I use it at work, I'm editor of a newspaper and online news site here, and sometimes it just doesn't get put away properly. My 70-300 works fine on the camera. It's definitely something that got in the focus ring of the lens. It really does need cleaning, but according to the two camera stores I talked to, taking it apart is $100, buying a new one is $80. Anyway, I'm buying a new one later, then I'll experiment with this one.
Seeya
jhacker is offline   Reply With Quote