Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 9, 2006, 7:47 PM   #1

I have burned off almost 1100 images using my K100D (kit) since October. I just received 2 new lenses that I ordered - the Pentax 10-17mm fisheye and the 16-45mm Zoom. I thought I would go out and quickly take an image with each (before the sun goes down) and compare results with each lens wide open (well the fisheye closed down at the other extreme), thus a test at 18mm, 17mm and 16mm.

So I did that and what did I just happen to see - against a background of green - what appears to be at least 5 dead pixels (more pronounced on the RAW file) in a "+" pattern. Plus there is flaring around it

I scanned back through several hundred images and its there same location (regardless of the lens) - it appears to be in the red plane, again a blue background it's barley noticeable, against a brown - barley noticeable, against green - it stands out like a sore thumb. In the raw format it is bright fire engine RED. I am a bit annoyed.

So - is it worth sending the body back for repair or replacement? or is it just dust?

Attached Images

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2006, 7:54 PM   #2
TDN

That sure isnt dust... I'd send it back
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 8:05 PM   #3

pretty sure that's a hot pixel. it should disappear when you convert if using ACR. not sure of your program.

roy
Old Dec 9, 2006, 8:16 PM   #4

Looks like a "Hot" or "Stuck" pixel to me. These things happen sooner or later. Pentax Photolab and Silkypix remove those easily during conversion from RAW. You can either live with it and wait until gets worse or send it in to Pentax for Pixel "re-mapping". I did that with my ist D just before the 1 year warranty expired, but I had 4 or 5 of them - mainly with higher ISO and specially when shooting in hot temperatures. (100+)
HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 8:36 PM   #5

Well, I just got an education in hot pixels - I'll live with it since I can fix it. Thanks!
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2006, 3:38 AM   #6

mine DL2 has two of them one red and one green. doesn't bother me at all, can't see them on prints and I don't look at my photos at 100%. and I belive if you turn on noise removal in camera it will remove them.

greg
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2006, 3:39 AM   #7

mine DL2 has two of them one red and one green. doesn't bother me at all, can't see them on prints and I don't look at my photos at 100%. and I belive if you turn on noise removal in camera it will remove them.

greg
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote