Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 9, 2006, 9:20 PM   #1

Since getting my K100 with the kit lense, which I thought was pretty good, I have been looking around. My interests being primarly landscapes and architecture, I am interested in the wide angle end. So, I finally decided (with a bit of help from the Pentax rebate) on the Pentax 10-17mm f3.5-4.5 ED(IF) and the Pentax 16-45mm f4 ED AL lens. Now they came a week apart due to Fotoconnection.com taking the order on the 16-45, then canceling it, and raising the price by $250, then offering it for $550. So I went to B&H.

Anyway the 10-17 which I took to a guniea pig show last weekend my wife went to, is really wonderful. Its very small, smaller than the 18-55, weighs a tad bit more, and is of the same diameter. It is amazing how close to the subject you can get and have everything in frame, with a great dof. At 17mm everything is almost square - very little bending. For close ups its is great. I choose this over the zenitar since this was automatic, and I did not want my wife to say to stop fiddling with the camera while we're on vacation - so I went fully auto - its really nice. The 18-55 hunts on focus, this just hits focus immediately.

The 16-45, I just received - its substantially longer, heaver and has a much larger diameter to the lens as compared to the 18-55. However on the camera, it has a very nice balance to it and overall the combination feels very nice. It too immediately snaps to the focus point with out any excessive hunting.

So the proof is in the pudding - I went out just before sunset and took an image with each lens (about a minute appart). Each was of the same setting, croped. There is a hot pixel in the center of the frame, so the cropping area is almost the same for each lens.

18-55mm is at 1/8 sec f22 iso 800 at 18mm
10-17mm is at 1/15 sec f22 iso 800 at 17mm
16-45mm is at 1/15 sec f22 iso 800 at 16mm

Attached Images

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2006, 9:21 PM   #2

10-17mm
Attached Images

Old Dec 9, 2006, 9:22 PM   #3

16-45mm

So which one is sharper and does the better job in this situation?
Attached Images

Old Dec 9, 2006, 9:40 PM   #4

interested_observer wrote:
Quote:
18-55mm is at 1/8 sec f22 iso 800 at 18mm
10-17mm is at 1/15 sec f22 iso 800 at 17mm
16-45mm is at 1/15 sec f22 iso 800 at 16mm

Congratulation for acquiring the new lens particularly the last 2 which supercede the kit lens of 18-55mm. I would have been just excited with these two lens.

All 3 pict posted seem to suffer from some kind of camera shake. You did not have to step down all the way to F22. F8 would have been enough.

Daniel

Edited later . Oops if the purpose of the pict was tohighlight the hot pixel (F22) , that is fine. But the LBA heading and content does not indicate that until I had chance to read the other post
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 10:17 PM   #5

Red hot pixel?
waynespixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 11:21 PM   #6

yes, a hot pixal.

these are all OOF or have camera shake to them. can't compare because of it. i'd suggest opening up the lenses from f22 as that's not near the sweet spot for any of the lenses..

roy
Old Dec 9, 2006, 11:53 PM   #7

I had thought that I had it in auto picture - however last night I was messing around with aperature priority and left it on Av - so it was fixed on f22. SR was on, but I did go out and snap them off in quick succession.

Actually, using f8 would probably be better as a constant, now that you point that out.

I'll run it again in the morning - better light.