Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 10, 2006, 1:27 AM   #1

OMG! OMG! My hubby took me to a camera store today to "look" at cameras and we left (much poorer need I say) with a K10d!. Last one the store had, they had used it as demo for about a week. They weren't sure if they would get any more before Christmas so we grabbed it.

So far I love the camera, but we gave it a very unfair first test, took it to night time harness races tonight. There may be enough light on the track for the horses, but it sure isn't enough for a f4.0 lens! Will have to play with it in daylight.

Got kit lens and DA 50-200. Convinced hubby that FA70-300 should be next lens, and also flash soon. He's already figured out the LBA problem, but is actually happy to now know what he can get me for B-days, anniversary, Christmas, etc.

Thank-you to everyone who helped give me info and clarify my thinking on what I really needed.

Peggy

pmanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2006, 7:47 AM   #2

you're certainly welcome. we await some images..

roy
Old Dec 10, 2006, 8:49 AM   #3

Night harness races would be fun - did you try changing the ISO rating? Only reason I ask is that I was outside in the dark this morning trying to take pictures and didn't think about the ISO. I couldn't figure out why it was taking 30 sec. to get anything (not useable) at all with a 1.7 lens. Answer was that the ISO was set at 100 (duh!).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2006, 9:21 AM   #4

Congratulations!

You will realize very soon that K10D is a CAMERA... :-) - not nice to say that but even despite of the lens used... sooooo decent (not to say superb!)

Best and happy shooting, JR

Reps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2006, 10:27 PM   #5

mtngal

I put ISO at 1600, it was enough to get pic's of stationary objects, but not horses trotting a mile in 2 minutes! We really enjoy the harness races, especially under the lights on summer evenings (they run until 11:30 pm). Unfortunately I picked 1, 6 on an exacta (2 bucks) and they came in 6,1. GRRRR!

Can't wait for it to stop raining so I can give the K10 a decent trial run.

Peggy
Old Dec 11, 2006, 7:49 AM   #6

Ah, you should have boxed the exacta. You've given me a good idea for an outing in January. Santa Anita is one of the prettiest tracks and racing always starts there Dec. 26th. It's such a lovely track and there's all kinds of possibilities for pictures...
Old Dec 11, 2006, 11:11 AM   #7

Mtngal

Unfortunately I didn't know about "boxing" until after I lost and another person listening in said "you should have boxed it". Oh well, it would have been an easy $27 though, would have paid for entry and food for the night. I haven't been to Santa Anita. My hubby keeps wanting to go to Bay Meadows. Maybe this spring.

Hubby is planning photo op trips for me for every day of my Christmas vacation now. I'm not sure if he is leaving me any days to sleep in and relax! He may be more excited about the cam than I am.

Peggy
Old Dec 11, 2006, 2:35 PM   #8

Where are you located? Are you on the West Coast somewhere, or a cold weather location person looking for spring-time warmth at Bay Meadows? Also, what types of horseshows? I used to own horses, so I'm curious what you'll be taking pictures of (hunter/jumper, reining, dressage, pleasure, halter, cutting, roping, gymkana, or???). Please post some pictures - I'm no longer involved with them (my hubby is much happier buying me cameras instead of horse stuff) and I gotta get my fix somehow!

P.S. - You'll make good use of the weather seals on the K10. You might want to save your money until the spring when Pentax releases their new lenses - at least one or more are rumored to have weather sealing to go along with the K10.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 5:27 PM   #9

Mtngal

I'm in Sacramento, but was raised in Escondido (closer to where you are). I show dressage, and my kids show dressage and English Pleasure. We have an Arabian mare. I think the mare would prefer to be a western pleasure horse, but gees, I can't afford the show clothes for Western! What kind of riding did you do? I understand completely about the husband factor, mine doesn't like me spending on horses either! Will post some horsey pic's when it stops raining up here.

Peggy
Old Dec 11, 2006, 9:25 PM   #10

Actually, I'm not close to Escondido - Frazier Park is at the top of the Grapevine (bet you've driven right past the exit many times and have never noticed it).

I used to do a bit of dressage - I was into combined training/eventing (had a thoroughbred). My hubby not only had a problem with horse bills, he wasn't real crazy about stadium jumping. Add in jumping cross country, even on the easy courses I did, and he'd have anxiety attacks. He's MUCH happier with photography. You dressage riders have my respect - I was never very good at it. For those that aren't familiar with it, it's the art of controlling a horse while you look like you are just sitting there. An oldfriend of mine (who did barrels) thought it was boring - just a horse going in circles and figure eights. How little did she know!

It's been way too long since I tried taking pictures at a horse show. A great deal of it depends on the size of ring and how far away you are from the action. I would guess that the DA 50-200 would be fine for most shows, but perhaps not. Before you buy the 70-300, use the DA lens and see if it falls short or not. As I recall, I didn't own anything longer than 135 when I had horses, and only wanted something longer for cross country and a few stadium courses. The nice thing about digital photography is that you'll know right away where your limitations are. Have fun with it!