Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 10, 2006, 5:36 AM   #1

My wife and I are going to an ice skating show tomorrow afternoon to watch some very famous skaters, including Scott Hamilton and Kristi Yamaguchi, so she decided that I should have pictures that would be worthwhile and went ahead and gave me the 100-300mm lens that has been waiting under the tree. I was bored and decided to shoot some fully zoomed, ISO 1600 shots with it tonight. Never shot with the Pentax's sensitivity that high, but I must say... coming from an eight megapixel Kodak camera with a 1/1.8" sensor that would only shoot ISO 1600 at 0.8mp... I am indeed impressed. But my early presents didn't stop there, I also got a Sigma 28-105mm lens which is cool, but I ordered myself a Pentax SMC-F35-105mm lens today, so the Sigma might just go back... but not before I play some. I am pretty sure these are all early signs of LBA.

Here's the ISO 1600, 300mm shot that impressed me so dearly.

-Nick
Attached Images

inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2006, 5:44 AM   #2

A Very Merry Christmas
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2006, 6:22 AM   #3

inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:
I am pretty sure these are all early signs of LBA.
Not early signs, you're in deep sh*t, man:-)

Merry Christmas!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2006, 8:38 AM   #4

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:
I am pretty sure these are all early signs of LBA.
Not early signs, you're in deep sh*t, man:-)

Merry Christmas!

Kjell
ditto, when you start doubling up on the same ranges, it's all over...

roy
BTW, nice shot
Old Dec 10, 2006, 9:13 AM   #5

robar wrote:
Quote:
ditto, when you start doubling up on the same ranges, it's all over...

roy
BTW, nice shot
I didn't know she got me the Sigma... am I not correct in thinking that the Pentax is a better lens... I really wanted something that would do close ups and I read that the Pentax 35-105 has a nice macro range, where the Sigma won't focus closer than like 18". Anyone have any experiance with the Pentax SMC-F 35-105?
Old Dec 10, 2006, 10:20 AM   #6

I like the ornament shot, you might try converting it to sepia or B&W and see how that looks, but as it is, it looks very old fashioned. According to my lens buying "theory" I will buy more than one lens of the same type to test with an eye towards returning the ones I don't want to the ebay lens lending library. The only problem is that I have not yet gotten around to putting anything back on ebay :sad:.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2006, 10:11 PM   #7

Very nice shot. I like Christmas tree shots myself (but prefer to keep the fake branches out of focus). I haven't done that yet with my early Christmas present...:sad:
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 10:38 AM   #8

Be sure to post the Ice Skating pics!
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 10:50 AM   #9

Oh, don't get me started... I am so p*ssed about that... They wouldn't allow MY camera through the doors. I was like WTF?? The old hag said, NO CAMERAS, then I watched three or four compact P&S cameras, some in bags, some on wrists, go through HER gate. Iasked her about it, she said..."I didn't see any."So I put the camera in my wifes purse and went to a different gate, I am a bit of a rebel, lol. Then that lady made her open her purse, but was only checking some people. I was so angry, so I just watched and enjoyed the show... No pictures. I was a little dissapointed that Scott Hamilton didn't skate, but Kristi Yamaguchi, Victor Petrenko (sp), and the othersmade the show very worth it!

The performance will air on natrional TV on January 14th at 4:00 eastern time. I guess I will just have to DVR it...
Old Dec 11, 2006, 11:12 AM   #10

inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:
Oh, don't get me started... I am so p*ssed about that... They wouldn't allow MY camera through the doors. I was like WTF?? The old hag said, NO CAMERAS, then I watched three or four compact P&S cameras, some in bags, some on wrists, go through HER gate. Iasked her about it, she said..."I didn't see any."So I put the camera in my wifes purse and went to a different gate, I am a bit of a rebel, lol. Then that lady made her open her purse, but was only checking some people. I was so angry, so I just watched and enjoyed the show... No pictures. I was a little dissapointed that Scott Hamilton didn't skate, but Kristi Yamaguchi, Victor Petrenko (sp), and the othersmade the show very worth it!

The performance will air on natrional TV on January 14th at 4:00 eastern time. I guess I will just have to DVR it...
That stinks. I guess it doesn't surprise me though. They make big bucks selling over-priced programs and photos. Actually, that is one risk we take as owners of DSLR cameras: While the typical pocket P&S camera goes largely unnoticed in to a performance or sporting event, a more "serious-looking" camera will often times draw the attention of security or event organizers. Oh well....at least you enjoyed the show.

gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote