Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 11, 2006, 2:11 AM   #1

Went for a nice hike this weekend at Back Bay. Here are some shots with Iso 400. Also I finally have Exif data on most of the pics. There were a couple that I had to use Neat Image, hence no Exif on those.

Not sure what the name of these guys are, but they were fast and agile. I had a tough time focusing on them. They would sweep down low above the water and dip their beaks into the water for food.
(Addendum: These are Black Skimmers)

Thirsty gull making a splash.

I believe this is a red tailed hawk. It would soar in the rising thermals above the cliffs way above and then bomb down upon an unsuspecting prey. I had to run Neat Image on this one because it was a heavy crop. Sorry no Exif.

(Correction) I have since found out that this is actually an American Kestrel.

I love how these egrets just glide over the tops of the marshes. So quiet and effortless.

A snowy egret wandering around in the marshes looking for a meal.

royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2006, 2:22 AM   #2

The gull making a splash gets my No.1 vote, however they are all excellant.

Well done.

Rodney
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 9:07 AM   #3

Neat pictures! The first two presented a tough metering problem for the camera - how do you not blow out the white parts of the birds? I had the same problem with a giant egret and a not long enough lens and the only time I got something that came close was to signficantly underexpose the picture, then adjust using photoshop. Your thirsty gull is wonderful!

As far as noise reduction software - I used to own an FZ30 so went ahead and bought Neat Image. It wasn't that expensive when I considered how much I used it for that camera, and while I don't use it very much with the Pentax cameras, it still comes in handy. No regrets for spending the money (and it doesn't strip the exif data).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 11:32 AM   #4

Yes I too havea tough time with white egrets. Their white feathers are so highly reflective, its very easy to blow out those highlights. I'm still at a point in my photography where I use apeture priority.I'm not comfortable withManual mode yet. Anyways I try to take as many pics as I can. Reviewing them in photoshop, I find that the slightly underexposed shots give me the most to work with as far as adding back detail. I usually do: USM, adjust highlights/shadows, adjust contrast, adjust color, and saturation. Usually this helps to preserve/accentuate the details of the feathers.

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Neat pictures! The first two presented a tough metering problem for the camera - how do you not blow out the white parts of the birds? I had the same problem with a giant egret and a not long enough lens and the only time I got something that came close was to signficantly underexpose the picture, then adjust using photoshop. Your thirsty gull is wonderful!

As far as noise reduction software - I used to own an FZ30 so went ahead and bought Neat Image. It wasn't that expensive when I considered how much I used it for that camera, and while I don't use it very much with the Pentax cameras, it still comes in handy. No regrets for spending the money (and it doesn't strip the exif data).
Old Dec 11, 2006, 3:49 PM   #5

Rodney9 wrote:
Quote:
The gull making a splash gets my No.1 vote, however they are all excellant.

Well done.

Rodney
Agreed! Very nice

Mark
nznhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 11:45 PM   #6

royce, All are very nice. I especially like the aerials. I got the same lens (arrived last week) and can't wait to get out and try it out myself.
Maw Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2006, 12:08 AM   #7

Nice! Can't wait to see some of your pics. You are gonna have alot of fun with this lens. It's just so versatile for outdoor photography.

Maw Harley wrote:
Quote:
royce, All are very nice. I especially like the aerials. I got the same lens (arrived last week) and can't wait to get out and try it out myself.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 12:25 AM   #8

Awesome series, Doc! Those aerials are beautiful! Can't wait until I can get back out to do some hiking in So.IL...just had ACL replacement surgery this morning so it's gonna be a few weeks:angry:so I guess I'll just have to sit back & enjoy all of the talented works of this forum!

Thanks!

Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2006, 1:02 AM   #9

Thanks for looking. Sorry to hear about your ACL. :O Hope your rehab is smooth and quick!

wadue wrote:
Quote:
Awesome series, Doc! Those aerials are beautiful! Can't wait until I can get back out to do some hiking in So.IL...just had ACL replacement surgery this morning so it's gonna be a few weeks:angry:so I guess I'll just have to sit back & enjoy all of the talented works of this forum!

Thanks!

Ron
Old Dec 12, 2006, 6:59 PM   #10

Great shots, I really like the gull making a splash and the Kestrel looking down. Excellent work!

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote