Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 12, 2006, 1:16 AM   #1

Got a chance to get a lot of practice with my DS and the sigma 24-135. (And yes I got a sigthat works too ) taking photos at my company's Christmas party.

I had problems right off because of very low light situation. Flash was set to manual and red eye with no compensation. Camera was set AV @ f/8 and ISO 200. Initially I got red eye preflash but not shutter release. I got desparate and tried the AE lock. After seeing AE indication in viewfinder, flash discharged and shutter released andI got a pic. So I spent the evening taking 150 + photos metering on white ceiling, then focusing and shoot. Does that sound right or is there another way to go about this??? like use different ISO???

With the flash I ended up getting 1/45 to 1/90 on shutter speed. I was actually pretty happy with the results and I really liked using the sigma in this situation. (Thanks Ira) I think the sigma is a keeper for me. It seemed very natural and balanced for me to use

Maw Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2006, 7:21 AM   #2

Hi,

There are no rules, Just guidelines. Use whatever works for you and gives you the result you want. I would have tried ISO 400, But that is me. Aslo why f8? The lens will go faster. if you set the apeture to a faster speed you would have had a faster shutter speed.

I think you got a good result. Glad you had fun and a lot of keepers.

Rudy

bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2006, 11:11 AM   #3

Hi Rudy, Thank you for your input. Mostly I don't know why I used the aperture setting I did other than I wasn't sure I'd get enough depth of field for shooting at a party situation if I used it wide open or just slightly stopped down.

BTW I forgot to mention that along with the redeye flash the camera autofocused and I'm still confused about why it didn't work at first without using the ae-lock.Was that justa coinsidence or not, and why was it necessary to use if it wasn't a coinsidence. Could someone help me out?

I'm still learning the why's and wherefore's with my camera and it seems to be taking a long time for some of this new information to sink into my tired brain.

I was hoping I could get several of you more experienced people to give me an idea how you would go about setting up your camera for "very" low light party situation. Why would you set it up that way and what your expected results are??

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Bev

P.S. Rudy. For taking a lot of snapshots of a bunch of people at a party I was very pleasantly surprised at the degree of detail and sharpness I got with my cam and this lens. I'd say I got about 70% keepers and quality wasn't much different than the photos taken by a professional photog at one of our parties a couple of years ago.
P.S.S. I was looking through that batch again, and I'd say I got about 50% keeps (note to self: new years resolution: DON"T EXAGERATE so much!!!)
Old Dec 12, 2006, 12:38 PM   #4

I think the p red eye preflash you are speaking of, might actually be your AF assist light. The way you say that the camera is focusing during this "red-eye preflash" makes me think that it is actually the AF assist light being activated due to low light situations. I might be wrong, but it's just a guess.
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2006, 5:33 PM   #5

Hi,

Exagerate all you want... :-)This hobby is like fishing, You can tell us about the one that got away or almost got..... LOL Bev, Check in the custom functions for anything linking the AE button to the flash.

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2006, 11:32 PM   #6

inneyeseakay, ahah!!!! yes I secretly knew that was the autofocus assist lamp..:blah:

I have limited experience with slr from a few years ago. The minolta I had, used a low pre flash for the redeye reduction. I know I'm probably confusing little experience from the past and things I've read here and there on the forums.

Anyway the stupid onboard flash isn't acting as I PRESUMED so I'm going to go RE_READ my manual now. I guess many here don't use the onboard flash much because the flash units is usually the topic of discussion. I'm determined to figure this out.

If any others have words of wisdom on this topic, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks inneyeseakay and Rudy for pointing me in the right direction.

Bev

Old Dec 12, 2006, 11:38 PM   #7

Not a problem at all... I usually use my external flash, but for quickshotsonboard is the only way to go, but the AF assist often kills the candid-ness
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote