Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 13, 2006, 2:50 AM   #1

I live in a suburb of Chicago, IL. I've been waiting patiently for the K10D to become available. I had a deposit down on a Sony DSLR A100K froma local storefor only $699 (including18-70mm lens)but still wasn't persuaded to purchase it. The ISO 1600 pictures were the biggest negative along with the fact that the ISO couldn't be adjusted in 1/3 EV steps like the K10D. Anyways, I was thrilled to see that Best Buy just added the K10D to their expanded on line assortment of digital SLR cameras. These won't be carried in the store. I took the 12% off coupon I received in the mail and asked a manager if he would honor it on a DSLR and he said yes even though the coupon excludes DSLRs. I just ordered it Tuesday in the store and I am having it delivered to the store for pick up. The cost was $999 less 12% or $879.This was for the camera plus the 18-55 mm kit lens (which I really like).It should be there in around 5 days. I can add a 4 year warranty for a reasonable $109 which is fully transferable.

http://www.dealcatcher.com/is a link where you can get a printable coupon, take it into Best Buy, speak to a manager and try to get 10% or 12% off. If one store won't let you, try another!! 12% off is for rewards members which is a free membership. They only had around 5 in their warehouse as of Tuesday.

Good luck to all!
cpatrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2006, 8:17 AM   #2

I don't know where you are located, but my Best Buy doesn't even carry Pentax DSLR's.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2006, 10:51 AM   #3

Same here. Our Best Buy carries on C & N
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2006, 11:32 AM   #4

Nice to know. I mostly hate Best Buy for their pushy salesmen. I try to get out of the store as soon as I am done with whatever I was looking for. About the only option where I live besides RitzCamera.

DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2006, 12:05 PM   #5

Digitaladdict, try National Camera Exchange in the Minneapolis, St Paul area, that is where I got my K10D and they were very helpful.

They have quite a few stores, but I dealt with the Maple Grove store and was very impressed with them.

Some of the Best Buy stores did have the Pentax D when it was new, but they no longer carry any Pentax DSLR's in any stores I have visited in both WI or MN.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2006, 4:43 PM   #6

The camera is only available thru their on line website. However, you can physically walk into the store and have them place the order for you and pay for it in the store. They can then ship it right to your local store for pickup. Please insist that they let you use the coupon I mentioned. If you get a nice manager, you will save $120.You can only use the coupon in the store. Be persistent and tell them that someone promised you they would let you use it. It works most of the time. My Best Buy also sells an extended warranty which covers accidentaldamage for 139 for 4 years or 109 for 4 years for normaldefects only. Please compare these prices to Ritz (which are a complete and total joke) for their warranties. I am not the biggest Best Buy fan, but in this case, they really came through for me.
cpatrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2006, 1:33 PM   #7

cpatrader wrote:
Quote:
I can add a 4 year warranty for a reasonable $109 which is fully transferable.
Just a word of advice about Best Buy's "Protection Plan" -- It only protects Best Buy.

I took my camera in for a minor repair at the end of October, and have had to return it three times since, and as of today (December 22), it's still out for repair.

In my case, they didn't send it to the manufacturer for repair, although they told me that's where they were sending it. Instead, they sent it to some outfit called Precision Camera, who has just screwed up over and over. They didn't fix the problem the first time it was sent in. The next time, they fixed it, but got dust all over the sensor (this isn't a dSLR, so it can't be cleaned without disassembling the camera -- more curious, the repair didn't require opening up the camera, so why did they go inside it to begin with). They then replaced the lens/sensor assembly (so they say), but the faceplate was bent when it came back, so I didn't accept it. They sent it back in for the fourth time, which should qualify it for store credit or replacement under the protection plan's no-lemon policy, but they wouldn't do that, claiming this repair was a "re-do."

To top it all off, because Best Buy sent it to Precision Camera, which is not a factory authorized repair facility, the manufacturer's warranty (which was still in effect) is now voided.

The whole experience has been an enormous aggravation, and no one at the store or at Corporate has been at all helpful. Instead, they've been either uncaring or downright hostile.

My advice is don't get the protection plan, and if you did already, revoke it and get a pro-rated refund. There's no point in paying them money so they can abuse you.

Curtis
Curtis Coates is offline   Reply With Quote