Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 13, 2006, 10:34 AM   #1

Hello,
I just ordered my *ist DL2 with the 18-55 kit lenses.

Coming from an Oly C770UZ the whole family is used to like 36-360mm zoom (iirc) and while the 27-28mm wide of the kit lense is nice I EXPECT some muttering about that.

I will not carry around lot's of lenses and exchange lenses every 5 minutes.

So what choices do I have on a good all-purpose zoom-lense, starting at a moderate wide end (around 28mm is fine) and having like the familiar-to-us 10x zoom range? I won't complain about 8x zoom if the lense is worth it or 12x etc. pp. - just around that 10x range.

The lense should support all features of the camera inluding AF and metering etc. - this is a family camera and my wife and my daughter will NOT care for what lense is attached.

Now I am on a budget here, so a lense worth 1.000 EUR is not what I am after... would be nice if you can give a "favourite" choice and a "budget choice".

Also if you got links for me to read on that subject that would be nice. Time frame to buy this is mid-end 2007 (I think) so I can take my time I'd say.

TIA
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2006, 10:58 AM   #2

I have the 18-55mm that came with my DL and I am planning on getting the DA50-200mm to go with it. Here in the USA they have a rebate on it, so it makes it more attractive, but that lens is still priced pretty reasonable. The biggest problem is, like the 18-55,it's not very fast, but you can always up the ISO. I also have an M50-f1.7 if I need low light shots. Anyway, those two zoom lenses are a nice matched set and they often come together in the two lens kits. Enjoy your new camera- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2006, 11:47 AM   #3

Hi

I can recommend the walk around lense that i use. The Pentax 28-105MM F3.2-4.5.
However, its Sounds like You want a longer lense. I Know of a few people that use the Sigma 18-200 F3.5-4.6. However i cannot say if the lense is all that great.
Keep in mind that a lense that size is a Comprimise. It most likely will be Good, but not great.

Hope this helps

BK

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2006, 12:27 PM   #4

This is about having the cake and eating it at the same time. Your specifications indicate that you actually look for a point-and-shoot. Then you have to sacrifice picture quality and control, the camera take all the decisions for you.

With a DSLR you get a lot higher PQ, but you sacrifice convenience, and you have to be prepared to pay more. The advantage of modern digitals is that they do have "fool proof auto modes" for granny and still gives the experienced photographer total manual controlwhen she wants that. There are no 10X zooms that actually delivers through the whole zoom range. Thats why exchangable lenses exist! I'd say: do like most people, start with the kit lens and a 50-200 or a third party equivalent, and find out what you really need. "You get what you pay for" is basically true.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2006, 12:58 PM   #5

Black Knight wrote:
Quote:
Hi

I can recommend the walk around lense that i use. The Pentax 28-105MM F3.2-4.5.

BK
I, too, use a 28-105mm as a walk around lens. Pretty good for most things, although it is nice to have the widerand longer lenses available when you need them.

Another thing to keep in mind: "A jack of all trades, is master of none."
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2006, 5:00 PM   #6

If you find the 28-105 too short, the DA 50-200mm is highly recommended. Search Pbase for pictures.

Nols
Nols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2006, 11:40 PM   #7

Best one lens solution is an 18-200. Available in Sigma and Tamron versions. Sigma version comparison shots with the 18-55 and the Canon S2-IS here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/... .../readflat.asp?forum=1036&thread=20478816

Sigma vs. Tamron on the 18-200 is debatable, reviews go both ways. Very possibly because individual Sigma lenses tend to vary in build quality. Either is a fine one lens solution. Very wife-friendly, no lens changing needed, but warning: both are around 400g in weight. This kind of weight is not avoidable, an 11x zoom lens built for a DSLR-sized sensor is going to be a rock.

Another option is a 28-300. Basically the same as an 18-200, same price, same weight, just more zoom at both ends. Most reviews slightly favor the 18-200, and 18mm at the wide end is nice. I have a long zoom background too, and I'm surprised how many shots I take at 18mm---perhaps because I've never had a lens that wide before.

Good lens reviews: photodo.com, photozone.de and slrgear.com. The last only for Sigma and Tamron at present, since no Pentax lenses have been reviewed. Slrgear.com's reviews are the best overall in terms of objective data, but the site is new and coverage of K mount lenses is still narrow.

Best budget solution, about USD $200 cheaper than an 18-200, and best overall solution is the Pentax 50-200. Cheaper because you've already paid once for coverage from 18mm to 55mm; no reason to pay for that range again. I have the 50-200; it is very bright and very sharp for its speed, which is slightly slow (F4-F5.6). Probably the most widely used Pentax zoom after the kit lens, built to be a good combo with the kit lens. Price around USD $230, $50 rebate in the US. Weight almost exactly the same as the kit lens, about 210g. The only down side is that it's a two lens solution, which is less wife-friendly.

Image quality will be better with the 50-200. But don't let anyone tell you that an 18-200 turns a DSLR into a long zoom point and shoot. It doesn't; see the above thread. Even with one lens, a DSLR has much better overall image quality. Single lens solutions ("vacation lenses") make purists shudder, but for lots of ordinary people they work just fine.

Cost, portability and video (and perhaps optimum wife-friendliness) are all valid reasons to choose a long zoom point-and-shoot over a DSLR, but you seem to have cleared those hurdles.

--Brett

BrettTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2006, 12:00 AM   #8

If you can find the Tamron 28-300 (model A06), I think you'll like it. It's not well regarded as it can be a little soft when the shots are viewed at full resolution, but in good light I think it takes good shots. It's very convenient as a one lens solution. I paid around $175 for mine, but I think it's discontinued (it's not one of their digital-specific lenses). The trick will be to find one. I just did a quick google search and didn't find one in a Pentax mount.

Here's a shot from the air show which I think shows the possibility of the lens. If you look at the full sized shot on my Flickr page (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rfortson - see the Airshow set on the right side of the screen), you can see a little fringing along the edges. Some of that may be my overprocessing, but you really have to "pixel peep" to see it.

I've also taken some decent low-light shots with the lens. This one was taken around dusk. I would've used a different lens, but this was the only one I had with me at the time. I thought it came out alright.

I also bought the Pentax DA50-200 (yeah, I've got LBA:lol, and while that lens takes sharper images, I must admit that I find the Tamron is more convenient with the wider range, and the extra reach is nice, too. It really is a nice walk-around lens for snapshots. If you can't find the 28-300, the 18-200 is probably the current equivalent. I saw that one for $150 at Beach Camera.

Hope this helps!

Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2006, 12:03 AM   #9

BrettTurner wrote:
Quote:
Image quality will be better with the 50-200. But don't let anyone tell you that an 18-200 turns a DSLR into a long zoom point and shoot. It doesn't; see the above thread. Even with one lens, a DSLR has much better overall image quality. Single lens solutions ("vacation lenses") make purists shudder, but for lots of ordinary people they work just fine.

--Brett

You speak much truth, my friend. :-)
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2006, 4:06 AM   #10

Thanks for the answers so far.

Maybe I wasn't very clear with that - I KNOW there is a difference between point and shoot and SLR. I used a analog KM SLR for many years and only my last camera was a digicam, a Oly C770.

So both me and my wife are fine with holding and operating a SLR, but everyone has to be comfortable with the tools he uses to get the photos. When I travel with my family I can dedicate some time to take photos, but I have to carry some other things beside my camera and I doubt I'll have a lot of time to change lenses (I am not the kind to do this in 5 seconds).

So what I was asking is (to my mind) a solution for a specific problem - a "all around" lens with a reasonable zoom factor and since the family is used to something like 10x from the Oly I did put that in my original post.

Yes - a lens will have it's weight.

Sure a primer will be sharper and brighter.

That's out of question - I just thought you have some hint's from using these kind of lenses every day

Besides - as for that "point and shoot" discussion: I tend to USE what I got on a camera. So if I got a scene or automatic mode and it does the job in taking the pic that I want the way I want - I can't see a reason to switch to fully manual???

On the other had it IS nice to have all control over the camera, exposure, DOF, focus etc. - and all this while having some nice ergonomics on the body and lens.

I try to enjoy ALL these sides of a camera - so if this makes me a "point and shoot" dSLR user in your eyes - be it that way. I don't mind if you think so - although from my PoV that's not the case :blah:

It's the same with the WB. If automatic works - why use manual??? On the other hand - if automatic fails - good to have manual WB.

And to come back to the lenses - as I said - 10x and more is not a must - was just to give you a rough guess what we are used too.

What I found so far (ideas):

Sigma 28-300/3,5-6,3 DG Makro
- http://www.fotoversand-afa.de/objekt...6e50d30626.php
- 42-450mmm is a HUGE range, but it's quite slow on the telephoto end

Tamron AF 18-200 F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II Pentax
- http://www.fotoversand-afa.de/objekt...6e10ccf7ce.php
- 27-300mm is nice
- 319,00 EUR ok price

Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2,8 XR Di LD Macro Pentax
- http://www.fotoversand-afa.de/objekt...6e10ccf7c7.php
- 42-112mm atf/2,8 --> wohoo: is this nice or what? ok - it's 3x zoom - but f/2,8 is a good argument
- 290,00 EUR (seems to be a reasonable price for that)

Sigma EX 28-70/F2,8 DG Asp. IF Pentax
- http://www.fotoversand-afa.de/objekt...6e50d3062f.php
- almost the same from Sigma
- 339,00 EUR (checked 1 shop)

Others
- super zoom 18-250, f3,5-6,3: http://www.tamron.de/index.php?id=417&kc_prid=523
- http://www.sigma-foto.de/cms/front_c...1&idart=81

You see - I just look around to see what options I have and that why again many thanks for your input - it all adds up and helps me to make up my mind!

/wave
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote