Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 13, 2006, 2:43 PM   #1

After over two weeks of waiting, my zenitar finally arrived from Russia. Close examination shows four tiny "dust-like" things on the front glass. Tried to clean them, failed. It looks to me that these are defects in the lens coatings. During cleaning, I felt one of the "dust" is rather bumpy. Viewed from the rear of the lens, the inside seems rather dirty. Several tiny dust and bubble-like things in the internal elements. To my surprise, a scratch is also visible, but it won't show up in the front glass, so I guess it must be in an internal glass. In addition, there is a dust embed in the rear filter glass! What a disappointment! Contacted the seller, he told me that the lens is under warrantee and I can send it back for replacement. But he did not mention who will pay for the shipping cost back and forth. Asked him again and no response so far. Attached are a few shots with this lens on my K110D. All were shot under f8. I wonder if these are common problems to all zenitar 16mm fisheye lens. I guess the defects may only affect the sharpness of the images. Am I right?

Jason

Image 1:

100% crop of image 1:

Image 2:

100% crop of image 2:

Image 3:

NatureAdmirer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2006, 3:17 PM   #2

They may not effect anything at all since a lens focuses internally and not on either end.

I would send it back for a repalcement, and any time I have done any kind of warranty, I have always had to provide transportation of the item to the warranty place if it is postage or gas in my vehicle.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2006, 4:00 PM   #3

I have one too. But I don't have the problems you have. I must say, your pictures look fine to me.

But, if you are disappointed with it, get a replacement now. Otherwise it will irritate you for as long as you have the lens.

Richard.

Ritro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2006, 7:07 PM   #4

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
They may not effect anything at all since a lens focuses internally and not on either end.

I would send it back for a repalcement, and any time I have done any kind of warranty, I have always had to provide transportation of the item to the warranty place if it is postage or gas in my vehicle.

Tom
The posted pict seem to be ok. Given the defects as you mentioned, return that. BTW did you get that from a fellow called Victor of Russia?

The manual and guarantee we all have (in Russian) are all manually signed by the checker or handler. They still do thatold fashion and manual way. Sorry to hear that .

Hope you can get a replacement to your satisfaction. Tellhim that youhave been recommended by Steve and Phil Pentax forum and as far as you know you are the only one with some defects. I hope he get the msg and process your replacement asap

Daniel, Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2006, 8:23 PM   #5

Hi Tom, Richard and Daniel,

Thanks all for your opinions. As all you have suggested, I will send it back to Russia tomorrow. By the way, the fellow who handled this order is not Victor of Russia.

Jason
NatureAdmirer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2006, 7:56 AM   #6

Fingers crossed!, Let us know when the new one arrives!

Richard.

Ritro is offline   Reply With Quote