Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 13, 2006, 6:34 PM   #1

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...ntax-10D.shtml

I find it quite an eye opener.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2006, 8:09 PM   #2

I agree - a great read, well-written. I wonder how many people will be able to see an article like this?
nznhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2006, 8:23 PM   #3

Interesting article... but I have one question. He talks about the focus ring turning in AF and not liking it, how do other lenses not do this? What happens when you switch from AF to MF, does the ring snap to where your AF was set to? Does the focus snap to where your ring is set? I dunno, but it sounds sort of odd, and I like how my ring turns.
balofagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2006, 9:30 PM   #4

I'm looking at getting a D-SLR in the Spring. I've looked at the Nikon D80, Canon and Pentax K10D.

I'm a long time Pentax owner but have been thinking of changing brands prob. to Nikon.

But lately I've been doing a re-think. The D80 doesn't seem to in the same class as the K10D.

I'm leaning towards Pentax again. Thanks for printing that article. Answered some questions.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2006, 10:18 PM   #5

Thanks for posting the link to the article - he's always a good read, and he brings up a number of interesting points. I hope that Pentax continues to develop their wonderful products and will really release some of these lenses (was out today with the Phoenix and even with the K10 it hunts more than any other lens I have).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2006, 11:53 PM   #6

balofagus wrote:
Quote:
Interesting article... but I have one question. He talks about the focus ring turning in AF and not liking it, how do other lenses not do this? What happens when you switch from AF to MF, does the ring snap to where your AF was set to? Does the focus snap to where your ring is set? I dunno, but it sounds sort of odd, and I like how my ring turns.
In USM lenses focus ring is kind of "disconnected" from focussing system when camera is in AF. It does not turn when camera is autofocussing. However as soon as you turn focusing ring it connects to focusing system automatically and you are able to focus with it. Neither focusing ring nor focus does not snap when you change from AF to MF.

Note, that Canon USM lense focusing ring does not have distance marks on it, it can turn without limits (you can turn it as many rounds as you want), it's position is irrelevant to actual focus point.

Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2006, 7:04 AM   #7

i will have to find more people to share this with

Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2006, 8:16 AM   #8

Edvinas wrote:
Quote:
In USM lenses focus ring is kind of "disconnected" from focussing system when camera is in AF. It does not turn when camera is autofocussing. However as soon as you turn focusing ring it connects to focusing system automatically and you are able to focus with it. Neither focusing ring nor focus does not snap when you change from AF to MF.

Note, that Canon USM lense focusing ring does not have distance marks on it, it can turn without limits (you can turn it as many rounds as you want), it's position is irrelevant to actual focus point.
The author admits to being experienced with Canon DSLRs only.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2006, 9:00 AM   #9

other boards i see ''what camera should i get. from a lot of the diehard C*&N*&M* users are stating ''get the pentax k10,'' ''get the pentax k10,'' ''get the pentax k10,''.
makes my heart warm.

roy
Old Dec 14, 2006, 11:18 AM   #10

The one negative thought I have is if the Pentax K10D goes over in a big way, which apparently it is. Whats going to happen to all those good lens prices on Ebay. They are already getting pretty high. It's the old supply versus demand all over again. Everyone is going to want a fast 50 for there new camera. Of course if you're a seller, enjoy.

BTW - How is the supply of the FA50-f1.4's? We only have about 3 weeks left on the current rebate. They have been hard to get. What a bargain for $159to $169. What I am trying to say is I hope the camera does not becameso popular that support, such as lenses and accessaries will be hard to come by.

Thanks Ira for pointing us to this article. It was a very good read. You're not drooling a little are you? I will have to be happy with my DL for a while longer yet. I'm just getting to feel very comfortable with it. It's sort of like an old friend- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote