Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 14, 2006, 5:39 PM   #1

I am working on using remote trigger or focus trap for birdie shots. Since it will be closer, I used FA50mm instead. Here is the result of a relatively good one.

I tried 300mm , 135mm & 50mm. Not too happy with the result as I find it better just to shoot straight . At least it is more fun. To use this method, it is more like the device doing the photograph. Not me

What do you guys think?

This is the first time I tried. So maybe more practice will give better result?

Daniel

Attached Images

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2006, 10:10 PM   #2

How did you do this with the remote?

I was trying this out a few days ago, it worked fine when I held the camera shutter button down(only fired when in focus), but when I held the remote button down it would fire regardless of whether something was in focus or not.

I was in AF.S mode and switched to AF with a M50 1.7
nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2006, 11:37 PM   #3

Daniel -- I assume that you just used the remote normally since it was with an FA lens. I like the shot -- I haven't used either technique, except to get a handle on how it works, but have seen some great results from others who have. I'd give it some more attempts before abandoning it. I'd try a longer lens, aim through the bird feeder, focusing on a surrogate placed in the feeder then removed, and use focus trap. The A*300, maybe with an extension tube to get a closer focusing distance. It seems like a worthwhile technique to get really close.

nadnerb -- what remote did you use? I don't think that the wireless remote works with focus trap. I have the Canon wired remote, and it focus traps with both my DS and K10D, both holding the button down and with the button locked. Maybe you need to set the menu item concerning focus with remote to off. Otherwise I'm stumped.

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 12:06 AM   #4

Thanks snostorm, I'll have a look at the options.

*edit*
Tried the AF with remote option and it made no difference, however if I hold down both the focus button and the shutter button on my homemade remote it works.
Makes sense I guess since the shutter button on the camera is really two buttons in one.

nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 3:43 AM   #5

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Daniel -- I assume that you just used the remote normally since it was with an FA lens. I like the shot -- I haven't used either technique, except to get a handle on how it works, but have seen some great results from others who have. I'd give it some more attempts before abandoning it. I'd try a longer lens, aim through the bird feeder, focusing on a surrogate placed in the feeder then removed, and use focus trap. The A*300, maybe with an extension tube to get a closer focusing distance. It seems like a worthwhile technique to get really close.

nadnerb -- what remote did you use? I don't think that the wireless remote works with focus trap. I have the Canon wired remote, and it focus traps with both my DS and K10D, both holding the button down and with the button locked. Maybe you need to set the menu item concerning focus with remote to off. Otherwise I'm stumped.

Scott

Scott,

I was using that in a regular remote way. I prefocus in manual the FA50mm and click around 50 ft away. But it was just too much wastage. Also even with the minimum focusing distance of FA50mm , it has still not as much magnification as I want (as seen above). But if I use macro ,the DoFwill be very very thin forfast action birdie shots.

Likely I have reached the limit of the buffer state of both K100D as it is just not firing fast enoug. Got to have a few more field trial.

Daniel
Old Dec 15, 2006, 6:09 PM   #6

nadnerb -- It indeed makes sense that it would be tied to the focus circuitry which includes the focus indicator. Cool that you discovered this.

Daniel
-- My limited understanding of using an extension tube with a tele is that you can decrease the minimum focusing distance, but not necessarily turning it into a macro with it's razor thin DOF. You do lose infinity focus as you are increasing the register distance of the lens, but you don't need it in this specialized application. I don't have or use any extension tubes, so I haven't personally tried it, but Ron (brandx) on DPR P Talk has usedthis technique it for hummingbird shots with very good results.

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 10:51 PM   #7

Also from FA50mm1.4 with me at the blurred background clicking.

The chickadees are really difficult to nail it

Daniel

Attached Images