Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 15, 2006, 11:59 AM   #1

How do these 2 lens perform indoors, say for sporting events? I was wodnering if anybody had examples of indoor shots with these two lenses? I'll be getting the 18-55 wit the kit, but for more zoom, I'm trying to decide between the 50-200mm vs sigma 18-125mm vs sigma 18-200mm.

Also if you have indoor shots with the 18-125/200mm please post.

I have a 50mm 1.7 on the way, thinking about getting a 135mm 2.8 or 3.5 for indoor sporting events.

Thanks J.
Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2006, 12:22 PM   #2

The faster the lens, the less issues you will have with indoor sporting events.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 4:54 PM   #3

Thanks...

Also, Another thing I'm trying to debate is if i should just get the body since I have 50mm 1.7 on the way. And skip the kit lens and get a good walk around lens like a 18-125mm, 18-200mm, or even 28-300? If I don't get the kit lens, I want something that would give me good shots like the kit lens from 50mm and lower, but also give me that little extra zoom that the kit lens can't. But when I played with the camera, I was very impressed with the kits lens. Decisions, Decisons.... :?
Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 4:59 PM   #4
TDN

The small extra price you pay for the kit lens is more than worth it, it's a very nice little lens.
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 6:29 PM   #5

Flaco wrote:
Quote:
How do these 2 lens perform indoors, say for sporting events? I was wodnering if anybody had examples of indoor shots with these two lenses? I'll be getting the 18-55 wit the kit, but for more zoom, I'm trying to decide between the 50-200mm vs sigma 18-125mm vs sigma 18-200mm.

Also if you have indoor shots with the 18-125/200mm please post.

I have a 50mm 1.7 on the way, thinking about getting a 135mm 2.8 or 3.5 for indoor sporting events.

Thanks J.

What kind of indoor sports? I took some indoor shots with my Tamron 28-300 at an NBA game and they were decent, but that's about the best lighting you're going to get indoors. I also useda Pentax 135 f/2.8 and got some decent shots.

Here's a shot with the Tamron taken from about 20 rows up.

Here's one taken with the Pentax SMC-A 135 f/2.8.

You can see the 100% cropped images at www.flickr.com/photos/rfortson and see the link to the Rockets set along the right side of the screen. SI hasn't come calling yet (probably due to my poor post processing), but I don't think they're that bad.

If you're in a high school gym, the lighting will be worse but you should be able to get much closer. In that case, I'd say go with the 135 f/2.8 or f/2.5.

Russ

rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 2:49 PM   #6

I have the 50-200. Very bright lens, sharp for its speed, but not a fast lens. I don't use it indoors too much, because 50mm is too wide for general indoor shots. It would work well in gyms and auditoriums. I've only been to one such function since I had the K100D, and I took the 18-125. That was a mistake, it didn't have enough range.

The problem with the 50-200 is that it is a slow lens, F5.6 at the long end. In low light you may not be able to use a fast enough shutter speed to completely stop motion blur, especially when shooting sports. It's bright and sharp, but F5.6 is F5.6.

I also have the 18-125. It's considerably sharper than I expected, but it's a very dark lens. Almost like they built 20% of a polarizer into it. It does very well in bright light, producing rich color and lots of white-on-almost white detail. It's also very good with a flash:

The problem is that with darker subjects, e.g., in low light, the inherent darkness of the lens results in dark images and lost detail. Shooting sports, you usually won't be in range to use a flash. A poorly lit gym plus the 18-125 at long range is asking for trouble. Also the 18-125 really ends at about 105mm, and probably isn't long enough to get close from the stands.

I'm not a fan of the kit lens, even though it has good image quality, because of its lack of reach. For ordinary purposes, especially outdoors, the 18-125 or 18-200 will have similar image quality to the kit between 18mm and 55mm, and much greater range.

Zoom lenses faster than 50-200 are way expensive. Sigma makes a 70-200 F2.8 which would fit nicely with the Sigma 17-70 for a two lens solution, but the former is $850 and the latter is over $400. A fast telephoto prime off eBay would be another option. Pentax has fast zooms scheduled for 2007, but from what I hear these lenses won't be cheap either.

So the best budget solution is probably the 50-200.

--Brett
BrettTurner is offline   Reply With Quote