Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 15, 2006, 11:49 AM   #1

Okay, I just got my Pentax-F SMC 35-105mm lens. It is brand new in all original packaging along with the warranty card and instruction booklets. The K-Mount Page says that this lens was only manufactured from 86-87, so how rare is it that I got one brand new in the box. All written material reads: "©1987" I just thought it was kinda cool and thought I would share.

______

-Nick
Attached Images

inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2006, 11:53 AM   #2

No. 2
______

-Nick
Attached Images

Old Dec 15, 2006, 11:55 AM   #3

So now we are looking forwards to a review. Or... are you planning to keep it in the box. :-)

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 12:03 PM   #4

I will definately write a review once I get it (it's wrapped under the tree, grrr), although I am not as experianced as some of the reviews on Stan's page... seeing as how I have never used a lot of the other lenses.

______

-Nick
Old Dec 15, 2006, 1:26 PM   #5

To me hearing what you have to say will mean as much (perhaps more) as what someone who reviews lenses for a living has to say. Much of photography is based on one individual's tastes and background. Knowing how someone who's new to all this reacts to a lens or camera is more likely to be an indicator of whether I'll like the lens or not. Are you going to have trouble with the focus? Is the color good enough for every day work? While top of the line lenses (almost) always take better pictures in some way, sometimes they aren't worth the premium you pay for them.

So post some samples after Christmas.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 4:31 PM   #6

I agree with mtngal, I find that I am not a technically proficient enough photographer to get much from professional test results. Instead I find it quite useful to look at the resulting prints and see if I like them. If the reviewers pan a lens then I will avoid it, but if they find any merit in it then it will probably suit me fine.

The old F series lenses are generally well made and, with the exception of a couple of "dogs", are pretty good optically. Great find, look forward to seeing some shots soon.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 6:26 PM   #7

First let me thank you for changing you avatar. I feel much better now. . . :-)

. . .just kidding!

. . .and congrats on the new lens -- you have to wonder how things like this happen. I haven't heard a lot about this lens first hand, but what I have heard is that it's really solid optically, so I'll be looking forward to your evaluation.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 10:37 PM   #8

Thanks guys... It really amazes me that someone would buy something and never use it only to sell it as new 19 years later. Oh well... bad for them, good for me!

______

-Nick
Old Dec 16, 2006, 12:41 AM   #9

As my Uncle Mack would say "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth."

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 2:26 AM   #10

i'd ck it carefully for fungus.. keeping it boxed for that length of time is usually not good.. this is 'my experience' as well as the 'used' shop in town i go to..

roy