Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 16, 2006, 7:03 AM   #21

Well here's one K10D owner that isn't concerned about Jpeg sharpness. I don't shoot pegs, so it's not a factor for me. I surely wouldn't be shooting pegs if I wanted to make large prints! I shoot RAW and convert to TIFF for printing purposes. The only time I convert to jpeg is for posting on the web and I abhor what the conversion does.Can you tell I'm not a fan of jepg's?:-)Just my opinion of course, for those that shoot jpegs exclusively I suppose getting aquainted with the smart sharpen tool will be necessary.

Personally, I love my K10. I've only done one short session with it so far but absolutely loved the results.
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 7:53 AM   #22

Hi,

I had a Canon first. I bought it because it was in my budget and felt comfortable to use with the grip. I really wanted a Pentax, but it did not fit into my budget.

I have sold my Canon and got a Pentax istD, The camera I wanted in the first place. The K10D is really an upgrade of the istD, Not any of the ones that came after it. They put back all of the features that were taken out in the models that followed it. They made the K10D a photographers camera again with all the features of the istD PLUS.

People who use a Pentax prefer to do their own processing of a picture instead having the camera do it for them. That is why the pictures are Not as sharp or perfect out of the camera.

Another thing is WHO CARES if the LCD is 2.5" or 1.8" or does not give you the picture back in 1.5 seconds for review. Did you ever shoot with FILM? You did not know what the results would be until thet were developed! I still shoot like I was using an SLR (Film) camera. I am not a machine gun shooter. I do not need to take 50 shots to get one.

I do not know why people get so upset over ONE PERSONS OPINION. If you like the camera and it feels comfortable to you and gives you the results that you want, Then by all means BUY THE CAMERA and Take some pictures. Learn the camera before making a decision based one some reviewers opinion. They are not the one who will be using the camera.

I can hardly wait until STEVE comes out with his review of this camera. We will have another LONG THREAD about his review and why I should or should not get this camera.

You will hear the same type of complaints when any new model comes out. They should have done this or that. If you want to sit around and complain about it, Don't buy it. It is quite simple.

My opinion, Like it or not!

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 8:02 AM   #23

I have a fairly extensive list of features I look for in a new camera. Picture quality of 100% crops just doesn't make the list. So, I don't really pay attention to reviews that use them. It's hard enough already to chose among the many excellent digital cameras on the market. At some point you have to just pick one and go take some pictures. Other wise you're going to stop being a photographer and become a full time camera critic.
bill.guenthner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 12:36 PM   #24

I am a Pentax owner of the DS and KD100. Love them both. I shoot jpeg. Shot raw but due to the large amount of images I shoot I don't have time to PP. Thus, I shoot jpeg.

All dSLR's have adjustable parameters when it comes to saturation, contrast, sharpness and noise reduction.

Stating that the other models overdo it is not totally correct (it is possible to over doit with my Pentax cameras). Adjusting the camera settings can give one for the most part the results they are after. It takes time to learn what you have.

Good exposure and good glass helps alot but it comes down to the user of any particular camera.

I enjoy my Pentax and will eventually get the K10D but also enjoy my other camera (N) as well for what it offers and my shooting stlye.

As for Phil, he is entitled to his opinion and I don't much think of his reviews on any camera.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 5:20 PM   #25

It takes longer for the files to come up because they are much larger than previous files. That said, how can you be seriously taking photos and looking at the LCD display to check each photo at the same time?

I may look at the LCD once or twice during a shoot, but then I take photographs like I did using film and never look at the display again until I am done shooting.

If the 1 1/2 second time is a deal breaker, then get a DSLR with smaller files.

Phils review is fine, just one mans opinion about the K10D, but the hundreds of opinions on this and Phils forum tell a much better story about what you will be getting than Phil's review does.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 7:17 PM   #26

My R1 is 10MP and the review images comes up almost instantly.

I asked if other K10D owners found each image being reviewed requires 1 1/2 seconds to display on the LCD. It is a simle question.

And the idea of "when i shot film I never saw what was in the can so why should I be worried now" rationalization of a 1 1/2 second display time has now made me nervous aboutthe K10D.

Please post how fast reviewing images one after another appear on the LCD.

Thank you, Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 8:20 PM   #27

One after another? Do you mean when you're reviewing the pics after shooting, or when you shoot a pic it shows a quick preview after each shot? If your speaking of reviewing all that you have shot, then it's immediate, you may have to wait a second or two to start but then there's no wait. I think it's as quick as my DL so..........

Something I noticed today while shooting........ The K10 is quicker shooting RAW than the DL. Continous shooting of three or four shots in a row was instantaneous.The DL would tend to lag on occasion while shooting RAW.
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 8:22 PM   #28

nickphoto123 wrote:
Quote:
¬*

My R1 is 10MP and the review images comes up almost instantly.

I asked if other ¬*K10D owners found each image being reviewed requires 1 1/2 seconds to display on the LCD.¬* It is a simle question.

And the idea of "when i shot film I never saw what was in the can so why should I be worried now"¬* rationalization of a 1 1/2 second display time has now made me nervous about¬*the K10D.¬*

Please post how fast reviewing images one after another appear on the LCD.

Thank you,¬* Nicholas
Well, I don't know how fast my reflexes are but the review image, after pressing the shutter button, is on the LCD before I can get my K10D away from my nose to look at it (I've never timed it). In PLAY mode, the first picture comes-up in about the time it takes for me to get my thumb off the PLAY button-- certainly less than a second. When pressing the 4-way controller to go through the images in PLAY mode, the successive images appear instantly. (This is with raw images and a San Disk Extreme III card.)
Ron C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 11:56 PM   #29

My experience has been that the review picture is there when I take the camera down after taking the picture. It could take a second or so, I wouldn't know because it probably takes that long for me to move the camera down to viewing level. I did change the preview time to 3 seconds because 1 second wasn't long enough for me. There is one exception to that - long exposures with noise reduction on. Then it takes as long as your shutter time to do the noise reduction.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2006, 5:04 AM   #30

Thanks everyone. That is great news, that while reviewing images on the LCD they appear instantly. For me there is no problem. And your timing about the shot auto review is no problem.

So now the only problem is 'Soft Jpegs". Phil participated in a long thread on DPReviw defeding his review and stating that the problem is that the 'reality of the image as it goes through the lens and is recorded on the sensor is not the same reality that is stored to the card due to the demosaicing algorithm' (paraphrase), 'and that sharpening can not restore the image to reality'. He states shooting raw eliminates this problem.

If this is an accurate observation it seems once Pentax confirms this, Pentax should be able to provide a hardware update via downlod to correct the algorithm. Phil states the K100 has excellent Jpegs.

Maybe he meant 'I JUST Highly Recommended the K10D'.

Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote