Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 28, 2006, 6:29 PM   #31

Catbells wrote:
Quote:
I see that DP Review have just reviewed the K10D & given it a 'Just Highly Recommended' with the following comment'Either a poorly implemented demosaicing algorithm or a strange choice of sharpening parameters means that while the K10D's JPEG images have plenty of 'texture' they can lack the edge sharpness we're used to seeing from semi-pro digital SLR's' and then goes on to say 'That said it's unlikely you'll see this difference in any print up to A3 size, it's a 100% view thing so you have to decide if that's important to you or not'.

I seem to recall reading something about the K10D experiencing mosaic problems in the early development but had thought that it had been resolved.

I wonder if those that have 'taken the plunge' and bought their prized K10Ds would care to comment upon this.

Am I biased (as a Pentax *istDS owner - DP Review slated this camera for poor JPEG despite it being on a par with other 'accepted brands of a more popular named variety) or is this a fair comment.

I'm just suspicious now that Pentax seem to have created a real winner, comments like this will serve to unjustly bias people against it.
brqyvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 6:57 PM   #32

It is amazing to me to read so many negative comments about the new K10D or any other camera for that matter. I used to be a Nikon supporter in the film cameras area. I ownedan f5 andan f100 and many lenses. When the digital camera appeared, I purchased the first 3 Nikon models and realized that they were taking me for a ride. Every 6 months, there was a new and improved model. Finally, I decided that the big guys (Nikon and Canon) were issuing new and improved models often as part of their marketing and quest to make the maximum amount of money from all of us. Pentax took their time and let this development time pass and let the big guys improve the technology at our expense. Pentax first introduced the D series to get in the market and finally the K10D . Image stabilization, dust cleaning system, backward compatibility with millions of Pentax lenses, Raw files at the push of a button, DNG raw files compatible with photoshop and Elements, continuous shooting at 3 fps only limited by your memory card, and so on. The bottomline is that photography is not about Technical evolution. The K10D already produces quality photos better than any film SLR could ever do. Photography is about composition and light.The fact that one make over another has more technical advanceement when tested, is a negligible factor. You don't buy a camera to test its technical advancements. The viewers will not care about perfect quality, it's the image that counts. I sold all my expensive nikon equipment, bought a K10D and battery grip, saved a whole lot of money and my pictures are as good or better than ever, with the difference that I can see the results immediately compared to silver halide cameras. Like they used to say....."It's the composition stupid!
brqyvn is offline   Reply With Quote