Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 15, 2006, 2:01 PM   #1

I see that DP Review have just reviewed the K10D & given it a 'Just Highly Recommended' with the following comment'Either a poorly implemented demosaicing algorithm or a strange choice of sharpening parameters means that while the K10D's JPEG images have plenty of 'texture' they can lack the edge sharpness we're used to seeing from semi-pro digital SLR's' and then goes on to say 'That said it's unlikely you'll see this difference in any print up to A3 size, it's a 100% view thing so you have to decide if that's important to you or not'.

I seem to recall reading something about the K10D experiencing mosaic problems in the early development but had thought that it had been resolved.

I wonder if those that have 'taken the plunge' and bought their prized K10Ds would care to comment upon this.

Am I biased (as a Pentax *istDS owner - DP Review slated this camera for poor JPEG despite it being on a par with other 'accepted brands of a more popular named variety) or is this a fair comment.

I'm just suspicious now that Pentax seem to have created a real winner, comments like this will serve to unjustly bias people against it.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2006, 2:10 PM   #2

I'm not sure what they mean by this, but if you can give me an idea of what would demonstrate what they are talking about, I'd be happy to go out and take some pictures of whatever would show what they are talking about - any excuse to play with my new camera.

I posted some 100% crops with the K10 and the K100 earlier of tire tracks in thedirt/dried mud(thread comparing theM1.4 and M1.750mm lenses) - if those would be useful (certainly gives both texture and edges of small gravel/pebbles/grains of dirt). Would that help?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 2:20 PM   #3

I've read right through the review & looked at their sample images.

There's appears to be nothing in the actual review to explain this apparent phenomena.

I'm guessing that it's something like viewing someone on TV wearing a checked suit where under certain conditions it creates a peculiar effect.

Personally, I think that some reviewers just like to make comments just to puta productdown - the tragedy is that even if it's untrue, it still sticks.

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 2:21 PM   #4

phil sucks. i haven't seen or heard of anything like this yet.. maybe he got a preproduction cam..
Old Dec 15, 2006, 2:29 PM   #5

Hi,

Dpreview is mostly a Canon/Nikon board. if you read the reviews for all the cameras you find the biased towards those brands. They pay the bills.

If you read the last line in his review it says HIGHLY RECOMMENDED (JUST). Just take those or any reviews with a grain of salt. The final judgement will be the users.

DPreview is not the end all authority on cameras. Just one persons opinion....

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 2:40 PM   #6

bluwing wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

Dpreview is mostly a Canon/Nikon board. if you read the reviews for all the cameras you find the biased towards those brands. They pay the bills.

If you read the last line in his review it says HIGHLY RECOMMENDED (JUST). Just take those or any reviews with a grain of salt. The final judgement will be the users.

Rudy
is it really a C/N board? i took a look yesterday just at the amount of comments in those forums as opposed to the Pentax forum on dpreview. the first pages on the canon and nikon boards went upto and past 12 hours since the last post (on the first page of recent posts). The first page in the pentax slr forum is barely breaking 30-45 minutes on average - perhaps the k10d will really end up being pentax's big break into the market everyone seems to think it should be.
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 3:02 PM   #7

Lighten up folks, Phil is correct about the jpg files right out of the camrea, they are not as highly processed in camera as the D80, so thay appear softer. I want them that way, so I can decide how much processing I want to give each image, since after the camera is done with them, I can't take it back. As he said in his review, there is just as much detail if not more there with the K10D, it just isn't processed as much as the Nikon or Canon.

The problem with his review and his review of the DS, it makes it sound like there is something wrong with the camera and just the opposite is true.

I love the way my DS and my K10D (unlike my friends D200) always nail the color just right and the way they save the highlights by underexposing if need be and I can't say enough about how much I like the fact that Pentax leaves it up to me how much sharpening a image needs.

These are all good things, but to point and shoot people, Phils review is telling them that the K10D is not as good as the D80, while just the opposite is true.

Phil is right, but he is wrong to present it in the way that he does!

Tom

Little problem typing here, cut my hand a earlier today!

Had to edit this twice now!
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 3:09 PM   #8

I love my K10D..I don't care what Phil says!!!! I like it much better than my DS..the exposure is right on and the camera layout is excellent. Phil says the edges are a little soft....just what does that mean! The Jpegs I have shot are sharp and up to 100% still look good...maybe I need my eyes checked?! The bottom line is that good photos are taken by people..using good cameras...all of us can do that with our beloved Pentax cameras!
whbroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 3:23 PM   #9

The problem is no one remembers film and accepts the over sharpened images from Canon as the norm now.

I don't want my images to look like computer animation figures, I want them to look real!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 3:36 PM   #10

It's all in the viewers eye, even with a point and shoot I do some post processing. It would be great if wouldn't have to do that but again, I resize, crop and work with the pictures, and this is a part of the experience that I also love.

I'm still waiting for my k10d, (should have arrived today but ) and I'm not going to get a bad feeling through this review.

On the other hand I can't understand the way Phil gives his points.

This could be seen with the reviews of the panasonic fz30, and the fz50, imho (and i'm not alone) the fz30 is better than the fz50 but Phil gives the fz30 a recomended and the fz50 a highly recomended (just).

I have to concur with Rudy
Code:
Ronny

Edit after I saw the Review samples, the camera really deliveres great pictures, :-) just happy that it will arrive next monday
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote