Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 16, 2006, 10:16 PM   #11

thkn777 wrote:
Quote:
What I've heard from other people is that they have 2 accounts for that... so you can start the auction with lowest price (thus lowest profit for google) and still have someone to "bid" the price you want to get at a minimum.

However I have no clue if this is "technically" against the rules.
That's totally against the rules and also extremely unfair.
nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 10:47 PM   #12

HogRider wrote:
Quote:
Ebay is just a weird place with rules that defy all logic. I am buying and selling on Ebay since 2000 and have encountered things that were beyond any common sense. I had a Vivitar Series 1 90mm with matching 1:1 adapter in the original leather box in mint condition. According to most website this lens is considered a cult lens among collectors. From what I had seen in the past thelens should have gone for around 160 to 200 Dollars in this condition. I expected even more, because I had super high quality pictures posted and even linked to full size test shots. A camera dealer ended up winning the lens for 90 bucks or so. 2 bids.

2 weeks latera same lens sold in "used" condition for 160 dollars. No 1:1 adapter, no series 1 case, but a fuzzy almost unidentifiable picture. Typical yard sale /estale sale stuff. 25 bids or so....

I guess timing is crucial, although how would one know when good timing is - before you list?

Practically for everything in life, there is no such thing as real value. There is only preceived value that fluctuate a lot.

Lately I have some luck with ebay.ca in that they do have on sale for sellers say 20 cents or 10 cents for BIN sale only. I am not sure if ebay.uk has that though.

Also it pays if you can specify or charge ballpark shipping cost to the U S. You can charge to the max assuming you will be shipping to the furthermost U S location. At least bidders have firm idea what the shipping cost is which helps. Typically I would say Can & U S shipping $15 / $20 respectively knowing that if the item is shipped to Yukon I will be losing . If sold to Ontario ( or nearby Province) , I will win. Well you win some you lose some. Also if you have low sell feedback, that would be a negative factor too.

That is my input

Daniel

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2006, 4:03 AM   #13

I know there are a lot of factors that determine the outcome of auction, and luck is one of them. it just seems I didn't have it at this time.

the feedback system is not perfect either. I should have at least 20 with 100% positive but some people don't leave feedback at all. if I win auction and pay immediatly, why seller is waiting for me to leave him feedback first? I did everything that is expected from buyer (paid fast) so why they wait for me to leave feedback first?

I'm not moaning about this price, it's just a bit less than I paid for it. I just wanted to share my disappointmet with you

greg

gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 9:20 AM   #14

I did a research project on eBay auctions for a college statistics class. The easiest way to increase final selling price is to have the auction end in the evening, or a weekend, when people are home and online. Auctions ending mid weekday like yours have much less chance for "bidding wars". Also, the length of the auction is much less a factor compared to time of day. For example, a 3 day auction ending on Saturday afternoon will typically sell higher than a 7 day auction ending on Monday morning.
ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 9:31 AM   #15

prob with the ending time is --evening where?? US east coast, west coast,
Britain???? the week end i can see..
roy
Old Dec 18, 2006, 10:43 AM   #16

gfurm wrote:
Quote:
the feedback system is not perfect either. I should have at least 20 with 100% positive but some people don't leave feedback at all. if I win auction and pay immediatly, why seller is waiting for me to leave him feedback first? I did everything that is expected from buyer (paid fast) so why they wait for me to leave feedback first?
It is not always clear if the buyer is not a scam. Sometimes they pay and want to return the item invoking some reason. When the seller gets the item back guess what: it was replaced with another one, defective nonetheless. Just one common scams out there.
Not to mention cases when PayPal accounts are being hijacked and the seller gets a surprise mail about having to return the money, later.
In international auctions this is quite common.

Just my 2 cents.
DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 10:29 PM   #17

I'll never understand some of the things that happen on ebay. I watched a Tokina AT-X 400 AF go unbid-on--the starting bid was $100.00. The lens was relisted and right now is at $465.00--same copy, opening bid and pictures. I bid up to $300+, but it's a bit out of my league at $465.00.Go figure...

Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 11:23 PM   #18

I'll second that about ending auctions on the weekend. You want people to sit around and obsess over your listing. I only have about 25 transactions (about half of those selling something) and I usually do okay. I never start at a high starting bid, and I plan for it to end in the early evening on the west coast (later on the east coast). I don't ship overseas (too much hassle for me) so I only consider North America. Ocassionally something will go for less than I imagined, but then the next thing will go for more. That's just the nature of the beast.

My best transaction was selling my DL body for $60 more than I paid for the kit, after I had used it for 6 weeks! Granted, I got a great deal to start with ($325 for the kit after all the rebates) but I never expected it to go for that much. That was when a bidding war started up and resulted in a nice sum to me.

Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 7:30 AM   #19

gfurm wrote:
Quote:
that's how I did it, any advice how to do it better?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...;rd=1&rd=1

after seing the other one going for so much I expected more than 22GBP, especially that olympus fit went for more than that. well, as roy said I made enough on extension tubes and Nikon close up lens

greg
Hi,

In my opinion there you've made a couple big mistakes in the listing:

1) In a listing you specified that you post only to UK. So, your lense was offered only to people from UK, nobody from USA, Europe and other parts of the world were not reaching your listing.

2) Wrong auction end time. 9:20 Saturday morning. 10:20 in Europe. Middle of the night in USA. On eBay everybody bids on last minutes and seconds. Ususally prices rise 2-3 times during last few minutes. Therefore you should end your auctions when there are maximum people on the net, let's say 9-11pm. but this must be not Friday and not Saturday.
Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:08 AM   #20

I was pretty sure I specified to ship worldwide, must have made some mistake when confirming auction. and I could do it few hours later. it's too late now to do anything about it. I'm happy I didn't lose on that one.

greg
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote