Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 16, 2006, 4:51 AM   #1

I just sold Sigma 50mm f2.8 Macro lens on ebay. it's very strange place. last week one of those went for 136 euro (that's around 91 GBP) with 30 bids, and I sold mine for 22 GBP . there was no fight for it, it just went quietly like nobody was interested. and what id even stranger there was on new 50mm EX sigma lens last week which sold for 53 GBP. so why 3 people were fighting for this older lens to the last second and paid that much? why it didn't happened to my lens :?

greg
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2006, 6:04 AM   #2

Just happens to be luck of the draw as to who is looking at the time.

Took me 2 months of looking, bidding and losing to get my macro lens at a price I wanted to pay. The 50mm lens was even worse. Finally got a SMC Pentax-A 1:1.7 for around £50 and yet these are now selling for less than half that amount!

I have just bought a 400mm lens for £38 incl postage, but to get it I had to watch and bid on around 20 of them. Some were going for £65 plus postage.

You can of course put a reserve price on items if you want to be sure of getting a minimum amount, or place the auction for 7 days to maximise prices.

I must say I have yet to sell on ebay, but I have a few lenses I will try to put up over the christmas break.

Trouble is, I tend to keep all I have bought, while the other half quietly suggests that some items should go to stop me taking over all the storage areas!

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 8:04 AM   #3

Hi,

Alot of how things sell on eBay is the way you make you ad to read. You have to grab somenones attention with the header and keep all they to the end of the ad. Flash and glitz plus pictures really help you to get the price you would like to get.

Also honesty does help alot too...:-)I am lucky to have NOT sold my Canon stuff on eBay. I sold it thru one of the forums. The last resort is eBay.

You have to watch and see how many of the exact same items are being sold at the same time also. That will take away from your auction if there are too many of the same thing. People don't usually look thru the whole listing for lenses or cameras after one or two pages they give up.

Just some of the things I have learned about selling on eBay. Alot of US buyers don't bid on things from the UK or europe because of they scams and the high cost of shipping and the conversion of the pound to the dollar.

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 10:11 AM   #4

greg,
ebay is weird like that. i've seen bidding go thru the roof for an item when the exact same thing is listed a half page down with a BIN cost of 50% of what the idiots are bidding. rudy's right about the ad tho. format is essential. do you have a link to your listing??
i buy and sell and so far haven't had a prob.

roy
edit: look at it this way. you made a killing on the tubes. split the profit between the two and how did you come out???
Old Dec 16, 2006, 10:35 AM   #5

Ebay is just a weird place with rules that defy all logic. I am buying and selling on Ebay since 2000 and have encountered things that were beyond any common sense. I had a Vivitar Series 1 90mm with matching 1:1 adapter in the original leather box in mint condition. According to most website this lens is considered a cult lens among collectors. From what I had seen in the past thelens should have gone for around 160 to 200 Dollars in this condition. I expected even more, because I had super high quality pictures posted and even linked to full size test shots. A camera dealer ended up winning the lens for 90 bucks or so. 2 bids.

2 weeks latera same lens sold in "used" condition for 160 dollars. No 1:1 adapter, no series 1 case, but a fuzzy almost unidentifiable picture. Typical yard sale /estale sale stuff. 25 bids or so....

I guess timing is crucial, although how would one know when good timing is - before you list?
HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 12:04 PM   #6

that's how I did it, any advice how to do it better?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...;rd=1&rd=1

after seing the other one going for so much I expected more than 22GBP, especially that olympus fit went for more than that. well, as roy said I made enough on extension tubes and Nikon close up lens

greg
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 12:23 PM   #7

Nothing wrong with that. I would have bid if I had been after one of those. A lot better than some descriptions/photos, but not as good as some others.

ebay is a mixed bag depending on what people want at the time. Putting a reserve on things is the only patial guarentee.

If you re-advertised it now, it may go for 1/2 what you got, or 3 times the price.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 2:03 PM   #8

I thought it was a pretty good listing, but I do have a couple of suggestions -

* If I'm reading it correctly, the auction ended in mid-morning GMT. It's usually better to end auctions in the evening when more people are likely to be on-line.

* Not sure you were interested in shipping to the U.S., but if you were specifying delivery charges would be a good idea, just so it is clear to people that this is an option. (Also, mid-morning GMT is a really horrific hour in the U.S.)

* It would be worthwhile to add more information on the quality of the lens. -a quote from some review site, a pointer to one, even a personal testimonial of a pointer to some pictures taken with the lens. Many people loooking on e-Bay are beginners and may not be familiar with the quality of a particular lens.

There are also a couple of factors you can't do much about -

* The problems you mentioned with the lens probably had more impact than you would expect. My thought when looking at the damage on the edge of the focus ring and reading that the ring wos loose was that the lens was probably dropped at some point causing both pronblems. That would be enough to keep me from bidding on it.

* It's only your second sale and you have a relatively short history on e-Bay. e-Bay is very much a trust based proposition, and many people are reluctant to buy from someone without a longer history.

Hope that helps. As others have said there is a lot of "luck-of-the-draw" to e-Bay sales. The only way to protect against this is to specify a high enough starting bid or reserve to guarantee that you will get a reasonable price. Personally I would use the starting bid instead of a reserve. I'm always a little put off by items with a reserve.

dave_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 3:11 PM   #9

What I've heard from other people is that they have 2 accounts for that... so you can start the auction with lowest price (thus lowest profit for google) and still have someone to "bid" the price you want to get at a minimum.

However I have no clue if this is "technically" against the rules.

I use eBay mostly to find what things are worth and buy from companies that use the eBay platform to have a internet shop without setting up one at their own company site.

What you've experienced is what I saw from the buyers side many time. You see something nice and put in into your favourites, then for some reason you forget about it or are not in time to place a late bid. Dang(!) - it's gone for let's say 50,00... ok - it's a more common article so you look around and find another one... this time it goes for 100,00 or even 150,00... it's really weired.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 3:16 PM   #10

Another option I have seen working when you do not want to let it go for peanuts: have it as a fixed format (vs. auction) with Buy it Now and Best Offer. You could run the risk of not selling it but at least you are in control.
Also make sure you offer fast shipping options especially when around Christmas.

I have seen some sellers doing it with success and bought myself items this way.

DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote