Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 16, 2006, 1:54 PM   #1

My K10D arrived today. Now I jut have to wait for the battery to charge to test it out .

I was really frustrated with the vender, who took 3 days to get the package shipped, but FedEx came through and delivered the package on Saturday, even though it wasn't marked for Saturday Delivery.

On visual inspection only, I'll say I'm impressed. It is about the same size as the Olympus E-10 it is replacing, with the E-having a larger grip under the shutter button, and the K10D having more body on the opposite size of the lens mount... In any case, it feels about right in my hands.

Now I just need to get some work done so I can play with the camera when the battery is fully charged...

For those of you who have one of these, how long did the first charge of the battery take?

Paul
pbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2006, 5:45 PM   #2

First time charge I leave the battery in for 5-6 hours.

Even if the indicator says it`s fully charged I let stay longer.

Somebody told me that all lith-ion batteries needs this.

Geir
Harold321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 7:28 PM   #3

congrats paul!!!
now all you need is a slew of * lenses to satisfy you.. or a M80-200 f4.5, or M200 f4, or A70-210 f4 and don't forget the macro.. hehe

roy
Old Dec 16, 2006, 8:33 PM   #4

robar wrote:
Quote:
now all you need is a slew of * lenses to satisfy you.. or a M80-200 f4.5, or M200 f4, or A70-210 f4 and don't forget the macro.. hehe
Since I already owned a K-mount Ricoh KR-5 Super II, I'm pretty well covered for lenses... well, except perhaps on the Macro side of things.

My collection includes a Sears 135 F4, a Super Albinar 80-205 F4.5, a Ricoh 50 F2, a ProMaster 2x teleconverter, and an Pentax-F 35-80 F4....

Now, I did buy the 35-80 last month... in preperation for the new camera, so LBA could very well hit.... And I went ahead and got the Pentax 18-55 kit lense with the camera, that gives me two autofocus lenses to use with it.... and gives me coverage from 18 to 205 without using the teleconverter.

Paul
Old Dec 16, 2006, 9:09 PM   #5

Ok, Here's the best of the first 10 pictures... My dog even posted for it .

The image above is a reduction to 640x480 using ImageMagick (ImageMagick is a set of command line image processing tools).

I went ahead and posted the original, unmanipulated, image from the camera as well. If you want to see that, it is here:
http://www.nscaleintermodal.com/miscphotos/imgp0003.jpg

Paul
Old Dec 17, 2006, 3:38 AM   #6

Looks very dark on my monitor.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2006, 8:49 AM   #7

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
Looks very dark on my monitor.
Yes, that is a bit on the dark side... that was taken with the flash in low light.

The ones I took without the flash were lighter, but the mix of light from the flourecents in the room, and the sunlight coming in through a window made for some "interesting" effects:

This one was taken with the shake reduction on, and I think the focus had trouble focusing on the spots on my dogs back.... but those artifacts are more visibile in the original image than in the 640x480 reduction.
(again, the original is here http://www.nscaleintermodal.com/miscphotos/imgp0004.jpg).

Now I'm off to take more pictures...

Paul
Old Dec 17, 2006, 9:37 AM   #8

Your first one looks better on the fill sized file - there's more dynamic range and it doesn't look so dark. Your second one had significant lighting problems - the K10 is pretty good with its AWB but there are some things it can't deal with. I had a play with your second one (the reduced size file)- if you have a problem with that let me know and I'll take it down. While I thought this one got rid of the yellow cast,but the very different light sources make this situation pretty hopeless, doesn't it? If you really wanted to play with Photoshop you could do something about the now bluish cast to part of the dog, but that's much more effort than I'm willing to do.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 2:26 AM   #9

If I were going to do anything useful with the 2nd image, I would probably just turn it into a black and white... That way I could ignore the difference in color between the different light sources...

I took some more today... while driving the 600 miles from my house to my parents... but I haven't had a chance to pull them off the camera yet... perhaps in the morning... if I don't go out and take some more .

Paul