Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 16, 2006, 2:06 PM   #1

Would it be better to get:

1. k110d body ($335 after rebate from Butterfly) with a SMCP-FA 50mm 1.4 for about $200
Total ~$550
OR
2. k100d with the SR and PentaxA 1.7 50mm lense? Total cost is not much more than the first option.

I'm not sold on the SR - one extra bit of electronics to break! I'll be using this camera/lense for inside, low light photojournalism -- shots of people mostly. Also, I can hold the camera pretty steady.

I didn't post this in the "which camera should I buy" because this is a question for the Pentax folks.

BTW, what sold me on Pentax k100d/110d:
1. 6MP is fine for my needs
2. AA mAh batteries or alkalines in a pinch - I have a nice charger used all the time
3. SD memory - I have lots of fast cards
4. Lens are a MUCH better value than C&N, and lots of older lenses to hunt for!
5. I just like the Pentax:lol:

Thanks!

superfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2006, 2:23 PM   #2

I would suggest K100D with FA 50mm F1.4:-)

The SR will save a lot of shots in low light (it is hard enough with SR).

Get the K100D with the A lens otherwise. Later you can upgrade the lens. You can turn off SR if you don't find it useful (or breaks).
DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 2:34 PM   #3

If you ask me, there's no doubt. Take the K100D+A 50 mm 1.7.

There's not much difference in speed, the 1.7 is enchanted by all it's users. Having AF is not a disantvantage, but for indoor shooting I find I often have to adjust the focussing manually anyway. In poor light AF is slow and unreliable. That said, the 50 mm FA 1.4 is a wonderful lens, I have it and use it a lot.

The SR is just what I would like to have (I have a DS) for indoor shooting. It gives you 2 or more stops advantage, and indoor lowlight is precisely when this is needed.

A DSLR is full of electronics anyway, and I don't think the SR is the most vulnerable part in the body.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 2:44 PM   #4

Don't really think there a choice here.

K100d with the 50mm 1.7 lens.

Fred2726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 2:56 PM   #5

K100D. It's a no-brainer. The little saving in the K110D will be lost when you miss a shot due to camera shake.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 3:00 PM   #6

I would go for the combo that gives the fastest lens. SR or not - get the fastest lens you can.

Why? Well - SR may help against camera shake - but you said it's low light. Low light means you'll have longer exposures. Long exposures means people will most likely MOVE while you click.

SR can't help against that. The only cure is to get as much light in as possible. So use a flash or the fastest lens.

Don't know how much 1.4 vs. 1.7 will help or not... both lens would be a dream for me, am used to f/2.8 on the wide end on my Oly C770 and have the kit lens with my DL2 (f/3.5 at wide end). If the 0.3 is a HUGE difference - go for the 1.4 lens. If it's non-visible - get the 1.7 plus the SR.

So think about it... Noise at ISO1600 is low enough for nice prints, so a K110 or K100 will do nicely I think.

Hope that helps,
Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 9:05 PM   #7

OK, I'm convinced! I just pulled the trigger for:

Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 for $200 - $50 rebate
and the k100d from Beach Camera.

The lense only has a 1 year USA warranty (some places have 3 year?), but Beach was the only place that had it in stock!

I'll cross my fingers and hope they ship it! I got the confirmation e-mail. Please wish me luck and I hope to post some pics soon!
superfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 9:31 PM   #8

superfuzzy wrote:
Quote:
OK, I'm convinced! I just pulled the trigger for:

Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 for $200 - $50 rebate
and the k100d from Beach Camera.

The lense only has a 1 year USA warranty (some places have 3 year?), but Beach was the only place that had it in stock!

I'll cross my fingers and hope they ship it! I got the confirmation e-mail. Please wish me luck and I hope to post some pics soon!
Congratulations and welcome to our world!
Post some pics when you get a chance and share your experience with this marvel lens.

DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 11:22 PM   #9

You've already ordered, but I'm another one who would go for the K100 and the f1.7 over the faster lens and the K110. You should really enjoy your camera!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2006, 12:17 AM   #10

I think you made the best decision. I can hold a camera steady, but since getting the K100D, I've gotten some nice hand held shots in low light. Shake reduction isn't a gimmick.

This was one of the first shots I took with my K100D. It was hand-held at 1 sec. For low light shots, it's a big help.

Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote