Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 17, 2006, 12:57 AM   #1

I wanted to try something different today, so (being inspired by Royce's salt water aquarium) we decided to visit the Long Beach Aquarium for the first time (we've been to the one in Monterey a couple of times).

The first thing I noticed was that the collection was much smaller than Monterey's, andLong Beachhas someother things besides fish. The next thing I noticedwas thatthe lighting was horrible - much worse than Monterey. But I did manage to get a couple of decent shots of the jelly fish - they are so much fun to watch.

All pictures were taken with the K10 and a variety of lenses, either with 800 or 1600 ISO.

K10D, SMC M 50mm 1.7 (fastest lens I had with me) taken at 1.7 (manual lens so the aperture isn't recorded by the camera and isn't in the exif data).
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2006, 12:58 AM   #2

K10 with SMC M 24mm 2.8, another manual lens taken at 2.8.

Attached Images

Old Dec 17, 2006, 1:00 AM   #3

K10, Phoenix FA100mm macro lens

Attached Images

Old Dec 17, 2006, 1:01 AM   #4

K10 also with the Phoenix 100mm macro.
Attached Images

Old Dec 17, 2006, 1:04 AM   #5

They also have a small bird compound that is full of several varieties of Lorikeets.

K10 with the DA 50-200. It ended up that the only lens I didn't use is the one that's my favorite (the A*300), but things were just too close to use it.
Attached Images

Old Dec 17, 2006, 4:11 AM   #6

It's fascinating how the jellyfish shots (beautiful shots!) remind of pictures of nebulosas and galaxies in space! http://www.robgendlerastropics.com/Einstein.html

And the lorikeets are so cute!

Kjell

Edit: I was a bit hasty judging your pics. Looking again I say the are not beautiful, they are marvellous! My wife, who doesn't care about photography, loves them!

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2006, 4:36 AM   #7

Great shots - never had much success with aquariums, focussing through the thick glasss always causes problems. Must try the 28mm.

The birds are really bright and colourful.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2006, 6:21 AM   #8

these area ll great photos
i particularly like the 3rd one down
the yellow jelly fish

i like the jet black background
it sets them off well

Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2006, 7:20 AM   #9

i like them all. when i shot these i try to put the lens directly on the glass. you can get some long exposured that way. here's a 1/3sec with my s7000. no AS

roy
well, checking the exif, i see this was with the DS. sorry
Attached Images

Old Dec 17, 2006, 10:12 AM   #10

Thanks for the complements!

Darren - the glass was pretty non-reflective, and the lighting was so poor there wasn't all that much glare for the most part. I prefer to use Roy's method of putting the lens against the glass, but the jelly fish tanks were fairly small, so focusing became a problem. I didn't think about trying the 100mm macro lens until I was about to leave (the jelly fish are right by the entrance), and that gave me more "keepers" than the two faster lenses (the macro is an f3.5, so it isn't THAT slow).

All of these (except for one) were run through Neat Image. On one of them Neat Image couldn't find any spot to analyze and I didn't have a profile for the lens/ISO combination (I don't use Neat Image much since I gave up on the FZ30). I ended up doing a layer of just the jelly fish and slightly sharpened it, then usedone of theblur toolson the rest of the picture to get rid of the noise - thought it came out pretty well considering.